Review: Boolean Algebra, K-Maps, POS/SOP, Gate Conversion

cwarren13

Joined Jun 23, 2008
Hey all,

I have a test coming up and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find some good review questions/answers for studying. The subjects include:

Simplification using Boolean Algebra
K-Maps (2, 3 and 4 variables)
Product of Sum and Sum of Product forms (conversion to and from)
Gate Conversion
Creating a specific circuit using only X type of gates

I have a fairly good understanding of the material, but my book is horrible regarding examples. I like to practice a lot with material like this, hammer it into my brain. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

cwarren13

Joined Jun 23, 2008
I've actually read all of that before posting here. It was extremely helpful, but I just need some practice implementing what I've learned reading there.

edit - I suppose I should have clarified that I went through that (and did the examples) before I posted here. So much better than my text, but I just want more practice so I have a more solid understanding of the material.

cwarren13

Joined Jun 23, 2008
So I'm trying to get the hang of Minterms and Product of Sums form using the K-map.

Heres the original expression:

(AB+C)(B+C'D)

Heres what I did to it:

(AB + ABC'D + BC + CC'D)

(AB + ABC'D + BC + 0)

(AB + BC)

Now I put that in the k-map as (4, 7, 8). Placing 0's in the rest of the slots I get (1, 2, 3, 5, 6). The group of 4 (1, 2, 5, 6) I have as (B + ?) and for the group of 2 (3, 1) I have as (C + A).

So far I have (B + ?) * (C + A)

What should I have for the ?

Is it okay to leave the B by itself in POS form? I don't think it is.

I appreciate the help.