Reversing wiring on a rotary encoder?

Johnnz

Joined Dec 31, 2008
Hi all,
Just wondering if it is possible to reverse the output of a rotary encoder via the wiring (as opposed to physically turning the unit 180 degrees)? I have one from a scroll wheel in a mouse which has 3 pins and it's metal body is connected in the original circuit board to the central pin. I tried swapping the two outermost connections in the row of three main pins but then it didn't work at all:confused:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Labeling the pins A B C:

Swapping A and C didn't work
put back to original order.
Swap A and B
if no change, put back to original and swap B and C
If no change, put back to original order, and flip the encoder over. :)

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Then just change in the XP software. By the way I do not know how to connect an encoder to XP without converting into some protocol like rs232 serial, or perhaps using the lpt port. What is your interface?

The OP has one of those LED mice for his PC, and he is trying to swap the thumbwheel function for scrolling, basically it sounds like he wants the screen to scroll down when he scrolls up on the wheel, etc.... why? I do not know....

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
The middle(central) pin might not be the common pin of the 3-pin scroll wheel switch.

I just pull one of my mouses apart and found out it isn't. The common pin is actually off to one side, namely common, phaseA and phaseB.

The common pin should be the positive side of the +5V supply as in most mouses I have seen.