Reversing the way a fan turns

t00t

Joined Jan 22, 2015
Hi Guys,
I am looking to reverse the way a huge ducting fan system to change it from a pull to a push . Is there anyway to change the polarity by changing the wires ? I know if it is a 3 phase motor i just change the polarity of the wires .

But what about fans ?

Thank You .

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If it is squirrel cage impeller it is designed for one way, the blades of most fans are designed for a certain air flow direction.
Max.

t00t

Joined Jan 22, 2015
Wish I could give more information . But all I have is the picture of the control panel that powers the fan .
fan panel.jpg

seems like a 3 phase ac fan

t00t

Joined Jan 22, 2015
The control does not mean anything at this point, you need to show the fan design.
Max.
sorry i do not have the fan design.

does it mean even if it is a 3 phase AC fan , if the fan design is made so that the polarity can't be reversed then it cannot be reversed just by changing wires ?

thank you.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You can easily reverse a 3ph motor by swapping any two conductors, but it is pointless if the fan impeller is not designed to run in reverse.
Max.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Many of the fans are designed to be reversed: you take the two end plates off, take out the shaft and reverse it before putting it back in. Done.

Others have different wires to reverse directions without taking the fan out.

t00t

Joined Jan 22, 2015
Thanks for the replies .

If i try to swap any 2 conductor and the fan is not made to run in reverse like that will it damage the fan ?

Thank you .

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Here is a video of what it takes to reverse a motor:

The motor in question happens to be an electronically reversible motor but they treated it like a non-reversible motor. All it does is to take out the shaft and reverse it before putting it back - as I indicated earlier.

Hope it helps.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
One more point of interest: If you try reversing the armature, be sure the field windings are centered in the case. Sometimes, they aren't.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I was going to say you can't so easily reverse a shaded pole motor, but then I saw the pic of the controller....
If you cannot show us a picture of the fan itself, can you at least show us a picture of the plate on the motor that drives the fan?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If i try to swap any 2 conductor and the fan is not made to run in reverse like that will it damage the fan ?
Running a squirrel cage backwards unloads the motor because it will not move much air, so the answer is, "no".