Reversing rotation to ccw

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by bradchiefs1028, Sep 1, 2013.

1. bradchiefs1028

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    I have a 3/4 hp evaporator cooler motor.it is 115v and has 2 speeds. it currently rotates clockwise, i would like to change that if possible, need help, thanks

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    You appear to be able to identify both pairs of windings, run and start should be a separate pair where they enter the stator, so all you should need to do is to reverse one or the other.
    Find a pair from Yellow, Blue, Red, Brown.
    Max.

3. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    I believe that if you can isolate the start winding & reverse it it will change rotation, done it with 1/2 h, 220 V AC.

4. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Could you get a better focused photo of the motors data plate? It looks like reversing instructions on the right side.

ken

5. bradchiefs1028

Sep 1, 2013
    thanks for the help.so i have flipped the red and the blue wires. now when i bump it it will start CCW,then if i unplug it and bump it again it will go CW. but it is not consistent with the way it rotates. any ideas what to do now?

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    What do you mean by 'Bump' it, if the direction is random, it is usually because the start capacitor is not connected, and you would have to give it a bit of a spin to start It.
    As the last poster said, it looks like a CW/CCW mention on the blurred plate?
    Max.

7. bradchiefs1028

Sep 1, 2013
    i re posted the picture with it not blurred, but it doesnt have any direction to reverse directions, by bump i mean "test" it, by plugging it in with a cord. i dont need to give it any spin to start it.but it will start and run in counter clockwise which is what i want, then i will unplug it,until it comes to a complete stop.then if i plug it in again it will go in the clockwise direction.you mention a start capacitor, but i didnt do anything else than switch the blue and red.

8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Did you measure if there was continuity across blue and red when unplugged?
    Max.

9. bradchiefs1028

Sep 1, 2013
    no i didn't check continuity,do i need to?

10. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Well you need to reverse the start winding, so it is best to check whatever you are reconnecting is at least an apparent winding, not one end of each!.
    I will consult my motor 'bible' and see if it sheds more light.
    Max.