Reversing motor circuit with time on delay

BrokenArrow

Joined Apr 17, 2014
I did not get a chance to check out the used motor donor today.

inwo, thank you for your valuable assistance. In the diagram you supplied is this a 555 timer? what are the names and values of the component in your diagram?

when the system is running, what happens if the start is activated? will it stall and reset? this would be a good addition.

I am wanting to build circuit boards for 10 targets.
Looking at a Smart Relay PLC to control random start times for each target. (This would be quite expensive for each target) so the circuit board is the less expensive option.

The reason I wanted to have LEDs on the circuit boards is for operation and diagnostics.
Red LED = board has power
Green LED = power thru action circuit
Amber LED = power to control circuit 2nd LED for complete action circuit
Blue LED = flashes for time delay (1 flash for 3s, 2 for 5s, 3 for 8s, 4 for 10s, 5 for 13s)

press button once → target pops up and stops → setting time on delay for reverse motion target down → target movement down and stops resets process for next press of start.

anything missing let me know...

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I did not get a chance to check out the used motor donor today.

inwo, thank you for your valuable assistance. In the diagram you supplied is this a 555 timer? Yes what are the names and values of the component in your diagram? They change with the design.

when the system is running, what happens if the start is activated? will it stall and reset? No, there is no stop condition, except at limits. this would be a good addition.

I am wanting to build circuit boards for 10 targets.
Looking at a Smart Relay PLC to control random start times for each target. (This would be quite expensive for each target) so the circuit board is the less expensive option. I don't believe it will be for 10 units. Even if design was complete, the time to build and debug would exceed the cost of plcs.

The reason I wanted to have LEDs on the circuit boards is for operation and diagnostics.
Red LED = board has power
Green LED = power thru action circuit
Amber LED = power to control circuit 2nd LED for complete action circuit
Blue LED = flashes for time delay (1 flash for 3s, 2 for 5s, 3 for 8s, 4 for 10s, 5 for 13s)

press button once → target pops up and stops → setting time on delay for reverse motion target down → target movement down and stops resets process for next press of start.

anything missing let me know...
With a plc, you can change design anytime without rewiring.
The status indicators are built in.
The power supply for low voltage sensors may be built in.

With all the functions, programmable is the way to go.

My ideas were just simple, "in-time-out-stop".

What exactly is meant by "I am wanting to build circuit boards for 10 targets" ?

10 units at 10 locations?

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
It's hard to hit a moving target that only goes by once a day.:)

If you would post a complete description of this project, you would get the attention of some better designers than myself.

You may even find someone to simulate the circuit and design the board for a small fee.;)

At this point there is not enough known to finalize a design.:( IMHO

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Joined Apr 17, 2014
At Broken Arrow Ministries we use the life skill sport of archery and share the gospel of Christ to at risk youth and families at festivals, concerts and family events we start. We are a non profit with little to no finances. Facebook/Broken Arrow Ministries Inc. My wife and I support most of the events and archery classes I teach, these monies contribute to cover the costs.
**we are not asking for money, and do not ask for money. we are asking for assistance with ideas to make the events stand out to attract the teens and young adults.**
We have an archery venue with 15 stations, 100' wide and 45' deep. persently these 3D targets are stationary. Sometimes we use a rope and pulley but this has proven to be very labor intensive. We would like to have them move, similar to a garage door opener to open and close. These targets would move up and down. The use of a garage door system is about 250$ per unit and keeping track of all the remotes will add frustration. So I thought of using a popup system and and using a PLC to control trigget times for each target. Using a PLC for each target is more costly then the garage door systems. (even used).
If each target had it's on circuit board (all being the same with same settable delays function) the PLC could command a random sequence for each target to popup!

I can fabricate the stand, obtain used motors and new for about 45$, build a circuit board for about 30$. each target would be under 100$ with the exception of materials for the stand.

Here is the idea...
Build Objective 1: (ten)

1. Have a wireless command to start (future option)

2. Button is pushed and released, operates motor CW to move target (UP or forward)

3. Target moves to desired point and stops motor (circuit resets till button is pushed again)

4. Stopped target sets a time on delay to start motor again CCW (Down or reverse).

(Programmable delay start time for 0, 3, 5, 8, 10, 13 seconds)

5. Target moves to desired point and stops motor. (Circuit resets till button is pushed again)

Build Objective 2: (Two)

2. Button is pushed and released, operates motor #1 CW to move #1 target (UP or forward)

3. #1 target moves to desired point and stops motor #1(circuit resets till button is pushed again)

4. Stopped #1 target sets 1st time delay to start motor #2 CW (programmable time delay for 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 seconds (UP or forward)).

5. #2 target moves to desired point and stops motor #2 (circuit resets till button is pushed again)

6. Stopped #2 target sets 2nd time on delay to start motor #2 again CCW (Down or reverse). (Programmable delay start time for 0- 15 seconds)

7. Stopped #2 target sets 3rd time on delay to start motor #1 again CCW (Down or reverse). (Programmable delay start time for 0-15 seconds)

8. Object moves to desired point and stops motor. (Circuit resets till button is pushed again)

Where I work I have access to any kind electrical component that has been listed in the thread. I just do not know how to put it all together! With a diagram and known parts and their location I can put the system together.

I can use a PLC pretty well with robotics with these kids, the circuitry is where I lack knowledge.

There is the skinny on what we do and the idea we have.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Build Objective 1: (ten)

2. Button is pushed and released, operates motor CW to move target (UP or forward) Got it

3. Target moves to desired point and stops motor (circuit resets till button is pushed again)
Button press starts motion immediately or after the (step 4) delay?

4. Stopped target sets a time on delay to start motor again CCW (Down or reverse).
Start after button press and delay time?
(Programmable delay start time for 0, 3, 5, 8, 10, 13 seconds)

5. Target moves to desired point and stops motor. (Circuit resets till button is pushed again)
Home position? There are only two positions. Home and desired point. Each will have a limit switch.

Stay with me. I'm a little slow.:D Language is so important when designing a circuit function. And that's one of my short comings!

I'll just try to get a firm grip on the first objective.

10 boards are needed as they are apart far enough that on large controller is not the best choice?

1 Press button to start.
2 Moves F until stop at limit switch.
3 No further motion until button press.
4 Press button to continue.
5 No motion until preset time elapses.
6 After delay, move in reverse to home limit and stop.
7 goto 1

Will an emergency stop switch suffice for safety? Killing power to motor circuit. So as no stop function is needed on circuit board?

Will a standard dial-set timer work to set times?

Or dip switches on a circuit board? Easier than a selector switch. Programmable may require key board or display.

I think the only thing that I missed in my first attempts, was waiting for button press while in the "desired" position.

I understood that motion would continue automatically after set delay. ( I see it now in your original post :( )
(I'll try to redraw diagram)

Either way, I still believe that one of these timers and one or two control relays, may be the simplest, most reliable solution.

BrokenArrow

Joined Apr 17, 2014
Stay with me. I'm a little slow.:D Language is so important when designing a circuit function. And that's one of my short comings!

I'll just try to get a firm grip on the first objective.

10 boards are needed as they are apart far enough that on large controller is not the best choice?

1 Press button to start. Once
2 Moves F until stop at limit switch.
3 No further motion until button press. Stop limit switch sets time delay to R
4 Press button to continue.
5 No motion until preset time elapses.
6 After delay, move in reverse to home limit and stop. Reset, no motion until button is pressed again
7 goto 1 Yes, only need to press start button once

Will an emergency stop switch suffice for safety? Killing power to motor circuit. So as no stop function is needed on circuit board? Yes a good safety feature to point out.

Will a standard dial-set timer work to set times? Yes I thought origionally if using the complete garage door system

Or dip switches on a circuit board? Easier than a selector switch. Programmable may require key board or display. DIP sw with LED flash for Delay, 1 flash for 3 sec, 2 flash for 5 sec, 3 flash for 8 sec, etc.

I think the only thing that I missed in my first attempts, was waiting for button press while in the "desired" position.

I understood that motion would continue automatically after set delay. ( I see it now in your original post :( ) YES, Button press once for complete cycle, start to home.
(I'll try to redraw diagram)

Either way, I still believe that one of these timers and one or two control relays, may be the simplest, most reliable solution.
I addressesd your response in RED

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I'm so sorry to be so dense.:p

Now I read it the other way. As I originally did.:eek:

One button press moves to limit switch at desired location and stops.
After a delay motor restarts (automatically) in opposite direction, stops at home limit switch position, waiting for next button press.

If this is the complete cycle needed, my original circuit from post 3 is simplest way.

If you are more comfortable with circuit board design, use similar to post 21.

If the blinky status lights are needed. Someone else can jump in and do a programmable design.

Not terribly difficult, just more than I'm up for right now.

My "thing" is boiling circuit down to the minimum required.
Any more than that is "work".:D

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Parts list for relay logic:

2- DPDT relays 12vdc coil, contacts=motor current ~ $10 each (fixed cost with any design)

1- time delay on relay 12vdc 0-30 seconds ~ $5

2- spdt standard micro switches ~ $5 each (fixed cost)

1- momentary push button N.O. ~ $5 (fixed cost)

1- .5-1 amp unregulated 12vdc supply or wall wart. ~ $10 (fixed cost)

1- motor $??? (fixed cost)

1- electrical enclosure $??? (fixed cost)

How important the status lights? The timer will show set points and in/out/timing status.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Was just thinking! Would you have access to original GD motor controls?

If yes, then just add this delayed return circuit in parallel to original multi purpose control button. ;)

Attachments

BrokenArrow

Joined Apr 17, 2014
I ordered two genie screw drive garage door openers on ebay. Should be here any day.
. Lost a few bids for smart relay. But still trying.
Looking atthe idea of a plc with a 12volt bidirectional ramsey motor.

Kinda still like the idea of a circuit board for lower cost with the 12volt motor mentioned above.

BrokenArrow

Joined Apr 17, 2014
The screw drive option is probably the most cost effective route. OperI'mer has most of the hardware, I add a delay on relay like you posted in #33, wireless receivers and a multi programmable transmitter from ebay to command multiple targets. Only down side is I will need 110 v power supply for the motors instead of 12v..
Was hoping to make it 12v saving some $$ and learning the how to part.

BrokenArrow

Joined Apr 17, 2014
The screw drive GD will give the 16" travel needed to move the target from Home (0°) to upright position (90°) with the use of springs like the GDO. This operation will take 2 seconds and 2 seconds to return to the home position.