Reversing circuit

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by agnoff, Aug 23, 2010.

1. agnoff

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Need to operate a 24VDC motor driving a timing belt linearly to go from Position 1 (off ) to (on) clockwise, moving the belt about 20", then having a limit switch triggered by a finger on the belt actuated to command motor reverse. When motor reverses, another limit switch at start position provides signal to turn off motor. Cycle repeats on signal command. Any help appreciated. Chuck

2. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
  3. agnoff

Aug 22, 2010
    Thanks but these will only limit signals. I guess I need some latching device to keep the motor and belt on betweem switchesrunning

4. gootee

Apr 24, 2007
    How much current does the motor use? Maybe a couple of "latching relays" could work.

5. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    I see your point if it's just a single bump however your idea + those switches will work.

6. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Try this: Start with belt bump,BB, in center, SW-A, SW-B, closed & Ry off.motor,M, turning CW, moving BB toward SW-A. When SW-A opens, motor shuts down. To restart SW-c DPST, is pressed, applying power to RY, which latches, & M, M reverses closing SW-A, C can be released. When BB opens SW-B RY un-latches, reversing M, now CW. Back to beginning.

7. gootee

Apr 24, 2007
    Almost! But he wants the motor to start up and the belt bump (BB) to go from the motor to switch A and then automatically reverse and go back to the motor and then stop the motor, all with only one switch press, total, just at startup.

8. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Motor position is not defined. SW-A is Position 1 or off. "Cycle repeats on signal command" = SW-C. Where is the problem?? Also SW-C can be SPST by adding 2 diodes.

9. agnoff

Aug 22, 2010
    Wow. Thanks for all the help. Will try it all out . You guys are great

10. gootee

Apr 24, 2007
    Dang it! I guess I read your original description wrong! Sorry!!

11. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    gootee,you'r not wrong, I was standing on one side of belt & you were on the other, so CW for one is CCW for other.

12. gootee

Apr 24, 2007
    Thanks. But you are too kind.

13. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Modified to show added diodes. SW C can be PB SW or transistor with 555 timer for single pulse re start. Diodea current rating = to motor running I. A resistor in series with motor will ease shock of reversing, if a small V drop can be tolerated.