Reversing a DC Motor

gimp

Joined Aug 3, 2010
I am trying to install some oven doors that will be opened and closed by a small DC motor. I need to be able to signal this to open and close with a PLC. Can anyone help me with a setup to be able to do this?

gimp

Joined Aug 3, 2010
Now that I've hurt my brain. I'm either not seeing exactly what I'm looking for or else (and very possible) I'm too dumb to put two and two together and get four. Can someone help with my original question.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
well, for one, the PLC has to have some relay contact outputs (DPDT) so you can swap the connections on the motor to reverse its direction, another relay contact to control the power to the motor (SPST /Normally open contacts) and atleast 2 limit switches to indicate to the PLC that the motor has reached one of the limits (either fully open, or fully closed). A low RPM DC gear Motor, A power supply for the Motor, and most likely the PLC will run off the mains power, and whatever mechanical means that you have to open/close the door, that should be it.....

Now, can you provide some info on the DC motor you are using? and the PLC?

B. Morse

gimp

Joined Aug 3, 2010
The PLC work will be done by someone else, not my thing. The motor is just a quarter horse 90volt DC permanent magnet gearmotor. Don't know if you have access to a grainger book but it's grainger part number 6ML73

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
The PLC work will be done by someone else, not my thing. The motor is just a quarter horse 90volt DC permanent magnet gearmotor. Don't know if you have access to a grainger book but it's grainger part number 6ML73

WOW!, There has to be a source (like Mcmaster.com) that has cheaper motors than that!

Anyway, you will need an external relay with capabilities of handling the motors current, I do not believe they make PLC's with outputs capable of handling that much of a load.....

Check out Mcmaster.com, they have a variety of motors and actuators (like linear actuators already mentioned) that may be useful for your application, they also have small PLC's and programmers for them, it may be a one stop shop for all the parts you will need to get this done.

B. Morse

B. Morse