Reversing a 12v actuator using dpdt relay and a joystick wobble switch 2no contacts

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by bergybob, May 23, 2016.

1. bergybob

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Hi, I have been helped on this site before with a chook house door opener.
    This time i want to use a 12v actuator via a dpdt relay to steer my boat .I have drawn a diagram and would like imput on how close i am .Will it work ?
    I have purchased a 2 position joystick wobble stick panel mounted 2 no centre off.A 12 volt actuator .and other sundry diodes and relay.
    Can you please have a look at my diagram and tell me if i am on the right track.

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Are your motor and/or actuator reversed when the DC voltage to them is reversed? What type of actuator is it?
    John

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    You aren't speaking my language with that drawing. Is this what you're trying to do?

4. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    Depending on exactly what the switches in the box marked 'Toggle Switch' do then it might,
    if both diodes are reversed and if the 'Toggle Switch' can handle the full actuator current.

5. bergybob

Dec 28, 2011
    Hi John,The actuator is from ebay 12 volt with inbuilt limits.
    Yes the actuator is reversed when the current is reversed.

6. bergybob

Dec 28, 2011
    Hi,Yes,from my limited knowledge of circuits your diagram does do what i am trying to do.
    Hold the toggle switch forward and the actuator goes one way.Let the toggle go and it returns to centre and all movement ceases.Put the toggle back and the actuator runs in reverse.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    The circuit I drew does not provide a powered return to center. That would require a feedback function according to position.
    If external forces return the actuator to center, that is OK, but the switches won't do it because they don't know where center is.

8. bergybob

Dec 28, 2011
    The toggle is spring loaded and returns to centre when pressure is removed,automatically.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Yeah. I know how a joystick works. That's why I said, "actuator". The actuator won't return to center unless you power it or some external force returns it to center when you are not applying power.

10. bergybob

Dec 28, 2011
    Ok sorry i read it wrong, the power for the return i would think would be to push the toggle to the other side and energise the reverse power to the actuator.