Reversible Synchronous Motors

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jerseyguy1996, Dec 23, 2013.

1. jerseyguy1996

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 2, 2008
  2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I would guess that is a AC stepper motor, as opposed to the identical DC bi-polar pulsed stepper.
    The AC version uses a capacitor to provide a 90° phase shift of the applied frequency for a very accurate synchronous amount of steps/rev. 72rpm on 60Hz.
    Practically instantaneous stop/start and can be stalled without damage to the windings.
    The capacitor is swapped between windings just as a 1ph split phase induction motor is reversed.
    Max.

3. jerseyguy1996

Feb 2, 2008
    I think I understand. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the whole capacitor causing a phase shift concept but this gives me a good starting point. Thanks!

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If you think of two windings fed from the AC but one is in series with a capacitor, in the direct connected winding the current will be in phase with the applied voltage, in the series connected winding, the current will be supplied through the capacitor, in a capacitor, the current leads the voltage, causing a phase difference between the two windings, swap the windings and the direction will change.
    Max.

jerseyguy1996 likes this.
  5. jerseyguy1996

Feb 2, 2008
    That clears it up completely and also tells me why the motor behaved very oddly(but certainly did not turn off like it was supposed to) when I tried controlling it with a relay in between the capacitor and one of the windings. The other winding was still getting power. I need to place the relay at the node before the capacitor. Basically I just need to place the relay on the line from the mains, which is what I should have done from the beginning but I was trying to be fancy about it.

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If in doubt, follow the instructions! :)
    Max.