Reversible Door on Timer

burger2227

Joined Feb 3, 2014
The relay is only replacing the existing gear driven switch. Nothing else has changed. The timer now runs the relay switch without the motor having to switch anything. When the time comes the timer will switch it the direction allowed by the limit switches.

Power should always be to the timer and H switch right?

Last edited:

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
The relay is only replacing the existing gear driven switch. Nothing else has changed. The timer now runs the relay switch without the motor having to switch anything. When the time comes the timer will switch it the direction allowed by the limit switches.

Power should always be to the timer and H switch right?
That's correct. Seems the simple method.
Set timer for on or off periods corresponding to open and closed door.

The hard way is to have the door alternately open or close with each "on" period of the timer.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
So, the motor unit is fine, except for the adjustable gear and toggle switch. I am thinking I could take the three leads from the unit (Common, C_1, C_2), connect this to a dual coil latched relay, which is controlled by two magnetic reed switches located at full open and full closed.
You can try.
Draw it up and I'll have a look.

My attempts need more control relays and even a time delay or two.

It can work rather easily (I think) with the first type relay you mentioned.
An impulse relay.

I'll draw it up for review, a little later.

Have to go to work.:eek:

Off the top of my head it should be a pretty simple solution.
The impulse relay would have to be capable of holding for complete cycle.

Sorry I took so long to follow.:(

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Here is an impulse (ratchet) relay diagram.

As the same signal from the timer opens, as closes, it can get out of sequence.

Impulse relay must change on make.
Coil must be rated for duty cycle of operation time.

I have some 6vdc and 24vac but no 120vac that I can find.

Attachments

dledge

Joined Feb 11, 2014
Here is the diagram of how the unit is currently set up. With your help, I'm better understanding how this motor was wired.

I'm also attaching a diagram of how I believe the toggle switch could be replaced with a SPDT Latching relay and two Reed switches.

Again, thanks for your help on this. Your questions and comments have helped me understand this circuit and guide my research...

Attachments

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I believe that will work, but if the limits are used for set/reset, then you have nothing to limit door travel.

You would require another set or two pole switches. IMO

That should not be a problem.

What is your issue with having power to controls all the time and using timer for open/close signal?

Sooo much simpler.

edit:

I take that back. :)

Another set of limits won't solve.
A set/reset timer won't remember any better than the limits themselves. :(
Remember, they have no off position.
Cycle will continue until power down.

Until someone does better, I'll have to go with the impulse relay as the minimum circuit required.

Last edited:

dledge

Joined Feb 11, 2014
I would move forward with your idea, except that the location of the wall timer vs. the door is separated by about 20 feet. When i built the coop, I created a dedicated wall circuit from the wall timer to the door. So, the only available power to the door is via the circuit controlled by the wall timer.

So, to save some serious construction time, I have to assume that the only Open / Close signal going to the door will be the power on/off of the circuit.

All other processes will have to use the Power on as the signal to do something. The direction of movement will have to be dictated by the reed switches.

Speaking of the reed switches...why would they not limit the travel? My assumption is that when the reed switch is reached, the circuit will close, hitting either the Set or Reset on the SPDT Relay. This will stop the motor from running.

Am I not understanding the purpose of the set / reset function correctly?

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I would move forward with your idea, except that the location of the wall timer vs. the door is separated by about 20 feet. When i built the coop, I created a dedicated wall circuit from the wall timer to the door. So, the only available power to the door is via the circuit controlled by the wall timer. That works with the impulse diagram.

So, to save some serious construction time, I have to assume that the only Open / Close signal going to the door will be the power on/off of the circuit.

All other processes will have to use the Power on as the signal to do something. The direction of movement will have to be dictated by the reed switches.

Speaking of the reed switches...why would they not limit the travel? Because you have them connected to set/reset...My assumption is that when the reed switch is reached, the circuit will close, hitting either the Set or Reset on the SPDT Relay. This will stop the motor from running.
There is no off position. Set/reset will only reverse direction. It will not wait for next power cycle.

Am I not understanding the purpose of the set / reset function correctly?
As soon as limit sets or resets, the contacts change to the other position. Its a flip flop, no center off as a toggle switch.

The last diagram showing the impulse relay works with only power from timer.

Each power cycle flips or flops.
Limits, stop motion in one direction only.
Next power cycle sends power to the other direction until limit.

dledge

Joined Feb 11, 2014
I get it now!!! So, the impulse relay would switch states when power ON. The reed switches would be NC. The door would run until the next reed switch is hit which opens the circuit, stopping the door.

Upon the next power ON cycle, the impulse relay would again switch states, and the door would begin to travel...

So, how is the impulse relay different than a latching relay? Is it just the set / reset function?

This has been a great learning experience...

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I get it now!!! So, the impulse relay would switch states when power ON. The reed switches would be NC. The door would run until the next reed switch is hit which opens the circuit, stopping the door.

Upon the next power ON cycle, the impulse relay would again switch states, and the door would begin to travel...

So, how is the impulse relay different than a latching relay? Is it just the set / reset function? I believe so. The impulse relay changes states with each application of power. The Set/reset relay changes state only when the opposite coil is powered. It will ignore set pulses if it's already "set".

If the flip flop is triggered while power is on it will just reverse. It must not change while powered.

This has been a great learning experience...
For me too.:D

I just wish that I knew the application early on.

I know now exactly what you need. However it does not seem to have a simple solution.

Not less than 3 or 4 relays and 1 or two time delays.
It might be a good application for a smart relay as was suggested early on. However they may not remember settings, or have a long boot time. Electronics generally don't like power cycles and environmental extremes.

It looks like you follow the impulse circuit.
Do you see how it could get out of step if there is a power outage while timer was on?

I did find a 120vac model, so I know they exist.
Is that something you could live with? It's a place to start.

dledge

Joined Feb 11, 2014
Yeah, I see how it could get out of sync.

If I changed the circuit so that the Reed Switches were NO, and were connected to the "Set" / "Reset", then the impulse relay would only switch states when the end of the door travel was reached, at which point the circuit would be broken and the door would stop.

Upon the next power cycle, the H-Bridge would change, thereby aligning it with the impulse relay and the door would again run until the next reed switch is hit.

This way, if the door ever got out of sync due to a power failure while the door was in mid travel, it would self correct within 2 power cycles.

(H-Bridge continues to switch, but impulse only switches upon door travel termination)

This would also mean I could find a 5VDC impulse switch instead of a 120VAC, which I'm guessing would be a good deal cheaper.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If this application requires a real time clock timer, there are Smart Relays with this Date/24hr time clock option.
You can also program a reset condition on power up.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Those relays generally require two pulses, one to latch, one to unlatch, they do however stay latched when power source is removed.
Max.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
If this application requires a real time clock timer, there are Smart Relays with this Date/24hr time clock option.
You can also program a reset condition on power up.
Max.
That would be so nice.
I'm not sure the timer is allowed to be by the door.

On the other hand I may have found a 4 relay solution.:D

dledge

Joined Feb 11, 2014
So...this circuit would replace the 'toggle switch', correct?

The circles represent relays. Are these just standard relays?

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
So...this circuit would replace the 'toggle switch', correct?

The circles represent relays. Are these just standard relays?
Yes, it gets complicated in that there are 4 relays, but simple cheap relays.

The two marked latch are standard relays held in by there own contacts and line power.
A standard configuration.
They prevent instant reversing when limit is reached.

They drop out with removal of power. Ready for next cycle. Position is remembered by which limit is closed at power-up.

It will run that direction and stop at limit.

Next cycle it will again run in the direction of closed limit switch. The other still open from previous cycle.

I'm going in circles now.:D