Reversible Bus Pair

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by mbxs3, Apr 5, 2011.

1. mbxs3

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 14, 2009
    I didn't want to piggy back off another thread so here is my inquiry...

I was hoping someone could explain to me how a reversible bus pair works as seen in the schematic in this thread:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=52502&page=2

This circuit was posted by BillB3857 based off CitrPug's originally posted schematic.

I am just used to a designated power input or rail and a ground rail so I am looking for a break down of what is occurring here. I am not concerned with the rest of the schematic. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    In a reversible bus pair, the two lines take turns. In the example shown, lets say that for the LOCK condition, the left side is +12 and the right side is ground. That would energize the left side relay. For the UNLOCK condition, the left side would be ground and the right side would become +12. In that case, the right side relay would energize. The two wires at the far right, labeled To Mirror Motor, are what I call a reversible pair. Very common usage in automobiles to reverse small DC motors such as window up/down, door lock/unlock, mirror up/down, left/right, etc. Of course to cause no motion, both would be at the same potential. In my diagram, they would be both ground feeding the mirror motor.

mbxs3 likes this.
  3. mbxs3

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Thanks for the breakdown!

4. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    A lot can be done with diodes. One of the problems given when I first started to learn electronics was to devise a circuit that had two lights at one end of a room and two switches at the other end. How do you make Switch A turn only Light A on, Switch B turn only Light B on with only two wires running between the switch pair and the light pair. Power was a 6.3 volt filament transformer.