reverse sawtooth generator

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mxabeles, Jun 23, 2010.

1. mxabeles

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 25, 2009
    is there any simplistic way of creating a reverse sawtooth waveform. Maybe using a network of 555s or some opamp configuration (single sided supply preferably ? I would like to use this as an LFO for a square wave to make a digital kick drum kind of sound.
    Thanks,
    M

2. mxabeles

Apr 25, 2009
  3. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    You could follow that circuit with an inverting amp, or you could do something like this...

There is probably a simpler way to do it. Seems like every time I post a design, someone else comes up with the identical function using nothing more than a diode and a resistor.:(

mxabeles likes this.
  4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    An upside down 555? Actually I could do it with a 7555, 2 transistors, couple of resistors and a cap. The transistors are to charge the cap with constant current and discharge the cap, similar how the 555 does it. Basically it is a polarity thing, you're charging to ground instead of Vcc.

An inverting amp after your sawtooth would do it.

mxabeles likes this.
  5. mxabeles

Apr 25, 2009
    awesome, i'll try using the 555 sawtooth to inverting amplifier.

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    This experiment out of the AAC book was not one of mine, but it is worth stealing.

555 ramp generator

It will linearize your ramp nicely.

PaulEE and mxabeles like this.
  7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I'd whipped up this 555-based ramp generator awhile back.

It outputs both a forward and reverse sawtooth.

Not perfect, but cheap.

mxabeles likes this.
  8. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    Q3 looks pretty shaky to me.:rolleyes:

mxabeles likes this.
  9. mxabeles

Apr 25, 2009
    great ! great.
    one question : sgt., in the schematic there is node with the abrv. IC above it and it looks like the electrical connection is circling around it. What is this device?
    Thanks,
    M

10. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Yeah, the schematic I posted was from a couple years ago when I was still pretty rusty - just happened to think of it and threw it up there.

Max,
    that is a SPICE "initial condition" statement. It simply establishes a voltage at the start of the simulation. It would not be in the actual circuit.

I added it because you are somewhat familiar with 555 timers already. It really needs more work before it would be usable.

11. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    Most function generators also have a "symmetry" adjust where you can twiddle a ramp to be anythng from a sawtooth to a triangle, to an inverted sawtooth wave