reverse polarity in my generator

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by chap, Aug 26, 2010.

1. chap

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 26, 2010
    I have a 1962 Chevy with a Generator on it. Ive been told that when you disconnect the battery, sometimes the polarity will switch and the generator wont charge. I have been told that to reverse it back to its intended posititon simply arc two of the wires in the thingamabob with three posts on it. I am totally lost which two to arc and how to go about this. All I can tell you is my generator light is lit and is not going out leaving me to believe it isnt working right.Please help
  2. Jaguarjoe

Apr 7, 2010
    chap likes this.
  3. chap

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 26, 2010
    :eek:From what I have read so far, looks like the polarity was switched when I cleaned my cables 3 days ago. didnt notice the generator light until yesterday when It wouldnt go out. I think I ran it in reverse polarity and the high voltage of the generator with the battery caused the pole points to fuse so now the battery will be drained thru the generator. I think something like this might be the case but I am totally new to electronics.:confused:In any event, my suburban is down with a faulty starter wire or something and now this. I am pretty spent dealing with car problems.:mad: thanks for responding
  4. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Disconnect the negative terminal of your Chevy's battery to minimize current drain.

Hook up a 12v 5a-6a charger to the Chevy's battery to get it back up to snuff again. Automotive batteries do not fare well if they are heavily discharged.

I've converted some 50's autos from "positive earth" to "negative ground", most notably a 1959 MG Twin Cam convertible. It just takes a "blap" or two to change the polarity of the generator, a very, very small amount of time. Unfortunately, I don't know offhand how to energize your generator to swap the polarity back to what it's supposed to be.