Reverse Engineering

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009

I like to make the same thing for personnel use...is it possible.
Three IC's no's are unknown.

What I think is that the big one is a PIC....if I can figure that out. I can figure out the rest, I think.

My question is..is this Illegal or can i make one for personal use as a hobby project

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
If your not copying the circuit exactly, are not using the Brand-Name and/or logo, and are not selling it, I have NO IDEA!

And it changes country to country.

If you use patented algorithms for analyzing the signal, that could be illegal.

I would look up the patent, and see if there is any information regarding copyright or proprietary parts/info.

The patent should sort things out on the schematic also.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Is there any way that I can I identify the μC.

I believe it to be a programable since 2X16 LCD is also driven by it.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
If I see it right, the big chip is grinded to avoid any identification. I think it is a pic or something similar, which without the original programming makes everything pretty impossible to copy.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
with the huge array of micro's, it would be difficult to identify. I've attempted IDing such devices on a number of occassions with limited success.

Pin count, clock pins, power rails, and possibly comm port is good starting point to attempt device matches.

Every time I attempt to ID such a device, I wonder if someone has a website some where that serves such a need.

if your lucky enough to ID the device, then you'll know if the code is readable.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK..so tell me...how or what I shud do to do this...with your brains and my brawn's, I guess we could do it for once.
A challenge sort of...what do u say...are u game enuf

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Why would you want to do that? The cost of buying a unit pales in comparison to what it would cost to develop EVEN if our time is worth NOTHING.

The only way it might make sense if if anybody cares enough about understanding the internals. I'm guessing that there is not another forum member with such an interest.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
In this case, my time is too valuable, but God knows I have my own needs to flush out circuits and a resource to help identify micros would be of interest.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK...Show me an affordable one similar to what I have.

This one is awesome

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I should have known..this thing is same as the embroidery machine...All made in china...
Chinese company's are the one's grinding away the no. from the IC's.

Forget about us duplicating. :p
They are having one hell of a time preventing forgery among themselves :D

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Affordable is if I can get the same functions and reliability with in 20 bucks.

This one is from those unique Chinese company's. The reputable ones.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't even know how much the one you have cost so a relative number doesn't do me any good. I still don't think there are any forum members that have both the knowledge AND the inclination to do what you need. I could be wrong -- it has happened, but I don't think so this time. Sorry to rain on your parade.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
It's cable TV scanner.. Signal level checker.
It can auto scan all the CATV frq. Display all the signal levels. plus it's frq.

This way we can tell which channel in low and troubleshoot.
Best part is accuracy and ease of use and how long it's been in service.

I can tell from the audio output which channel it is.

The accuracy and ease of use and how long we have been using it makes me want to make one more. It's expensive, and is not available here or I have not seen it any where else.