Return from Intterupt - I'm using PIC16F877A C language for my project

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by rocker123uk, Mar 9, 2016.

1. rocker123uk

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 6, 2015
    im doing my final year project and need help about a part in interrupt . I'm using PIC16F877A for my project . I'm using C language for programming and MikroC as my compiler . I'm trying to find a way so that when the microcontroller exits the interrupt service routine , it should go back to the starting of the main program rather than return to the address in the main program where the stack pointer is showing . In other words , the program counter should reset to the beginning of the main program .

IS there any way to do this ? if yes, please share. Thank you!

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Are you wedded to that chip? If you can use an enhanced mid-range that has STKPTR, then it is relatively easy.

Here is a related thread from another forum on that point: http://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/erasing-return-address-of-call.145388/#post-1228915

I only do assembly and have seen the need to return to a known point, but it really is not easy, unless you can access the stack.

John

Edit: An alternative is to set a flag in the interrupt and then check that flag in routines that are not stable to an interrupt (e.g., something that depends on an outside timed event).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  3. dannyf

Sep 13, 2015
    What you are trying to do can be done. But it is difficult to do, especially in a high level language like C.

However, a better question for you is why do you want to or have to do that? Countless mcus work in the field flawlessly without your kind of return mechamism.

If I were you, I would seriously rethink about your approach.

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Only way I know is to keep interrupts disabled and force a watchdog RESET. This cleans up the stack and all the peripherals as well.

5. Picbuster

Dec 2, 2013
    set flag in interrupt when it returned to originated point pickup flag and go to main.

6. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    I was going to say what Papabrovo says--what you're trying to do is equivalent to resetting the processor. But as Dannyf said, what's the point of this? Nobody else in the world has a need for it.

Come to think of it, how about hara-kiri? Maybe the processor can trigger its own reset pin via an external output. I've never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

7. rocker123uk

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 6, 2015
    thanks guys for the comments, if that would be difficult then i would prefer to stay away haha. but could i use a pushbutton to jump to a specific loop in a program with many loops , for example if rb0=1 jump to main while loop.

8. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Yes, at least in Assembly that is possible. For example, I use a push button on a project to force re-calibration. I see no reason that can't be done in C.

John

9. dannyf

Sep 13, 2015
    Yes. But no of that requires returning to a particular point from the interrupt.

Whenever you run into something that's "unnatural" to a chip, you may want to rethink your approach.

10. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    What you are asking for is an unstructured goto spaghetti producer.
    That's almost universally a bad thing in programming unless its for a fatal error handler.

For C you could use the structured goto statement called a 'switch' with a simple interrupt or event driven finite-state machine to design good embedded software.
    http://www.barrgroup.com/Embedded-Systems/How-To/State-Machines-Event-Driven-Systems