Retail electronics mom and pop shops. Do you have one?

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
I am wondering if people in other cities have stores like this? Please post them, so that when one of us is in that city we can check it out. I think it would be helpful.

I was on vacation in various cities in the northeast 2 weeks ago. One of them was Baltimore. I heard about Baynesville from someone on this forum one time. I decided to check it out.

So my friend (who doesn't care too much for electronics, he is an artist/architect :rolleyes:) and I went to the store. Let me tell you, I was like a kid in a candy store. My friend was nudging me to go. I think I understand women and shoe stores a little better now. ;)

Okay think the resistor/capacitor/etc bins at radio shack, but times 100,000. They had rows and rows of every component you can imagine, including common IC's and even logic gates. It was like Jameco the website, but in a physical store. You can just grab what you need, and buy it without waiting 1.5 weeks for it to arrive.And the owner was very nice, and gave me all their catalogs when I said I'm interested. Only downside, their prices may be a bit higher than online, but when you need the chip like NOW, that is worth it.

Was Radio shack ever like this? Some of you guys have been around the block more than me. But from my experience, no.

Here is their website if you are interested.

http://www.baynesvilleelectronics.com/index2.ivnu

Anyway are there other stores like this throughout the country? Come on you lucky people, post them. Its not shameless advertising, how else do people hear about these stores except through fellow electronics enthusiasts. And see, I heard about it on this forum, and actually went there.

All we have in Pittsburgh is Radio Shack. When I needed some component at work, we had to order it, and I had to "go do something else, aka waste time" while waiting a week for it to arrive. A couple of times, I said screw it and just went to Radio shack, but it hardly has anything as most people know. A few times I got lucky and found what I needed there.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Here in australia I have a Trade A/C with WES Components in Sydney. If I FAX them by 2.00PM the parts are here next day by 1.00PM & i live west of Sydney half way across Australia. I call that good service.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
My exclusive electronics supplier in Athens is "Φανός", Solomou 40 st, downtown. It's a small family business, at its second generation, I think. It covers all my needs in less than 40 sq m. It's got everything, from transformers, to microcontrollers, to resistors, to bench tools. Everything bar jumper wires.
Oh, jumper wires, one day I will have you all for myself...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've mentioned my favorites before, Dallas metroplex is blessed to have several. There is some kind of business relationship between Tanner's (who is most definitely a family operation) and BG Micro. The former is a walk in only, while the other focuses on Internet. BG Micro has employees, but everyone is very friendly including the owner.

Then there is Altex, who is part of a chain, so they don't really qualify (but I'm glad they are there). Fry's is also a chain of electronics superstores, but they suffer from the Radio Shack Syndrome squared, I don't think their employees can count past ten. It does no good to have a reasonable selection of parts like resistors if they are randomly put on a wall board.

Mouser is almost part of the Dallas metroplex. They deserve honorable mention because the two times I've ordered from them I have received the parts using ground UPS in less than 24 hours.

KatieL

Joined Jul 2, 2011
Bill -

I just checked out Tanner's website, it looks totally drool worthy from the pictures. Thanks for pointing me in that direction! I think it's worth a little drive from Dallas proper to Carrolton before school starts :p

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
When I lived in that area, I used to go to Sarasota Electronics a good bit (Sarasota, FL):
http://www.sarasota-electronics.com/
The owner has an interesting collection of antique test equipment.

Now that I'm in the Orlando, FL area, Skycraft Parts & Surplus is a favorite haunt:
http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/contact-us.aspx
They have an amazing array of items for sale; far more than you'd believe would fit in the building. My digital camera died, otherwise I'd post some pics.
The fellow who started the place in the 60's used to build R/C boats that had a large variety of effects on board, all controlled by a single pushbutton on a remote.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Bill -

I just checked out Tanner's website, it looks totally drool worthy from the pictures. Thanks for pointing me in that direction! I think it's worth a little drive from Dallas proper to Carrolton before school starts :p
If you ever go to BG Micro (use the internet first to make a shopping list of part numbers and prices) bring dog biscuits. They have a very friendly but really large great dane named Eli May. She has one brown eye and one blue, very striking. Tell them Bill sent you.

The Eli's owner (Tammy) swears she won't touch them except from outsiders. Something about getting gifts from other people I guess.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Fry's is also a chain of electronics superstores, but they suffer from the Radio Shack Syndrome squared, I don't think their employees can count past ten. It does no good to have a reasonable selection of parts like resistors if they are randomly put on a wall board.
+1
I went to Frys for the first time looking for a transistor and found all they have is NTE stuff; Their cross-reference book had all the pages I needed ripped out. I asked them if they could look it up for me, and nobody in the electronic components section knew what a transistor was (I know, I talked to all of them, about 5 people) Their reply to me was "most people who come in here already know what they want and go straight to it" - well thats great, lesson learned, thanks.

So if anybody knows a good electronics store in houston, please speak up

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'll ask Jim Tanner about next time I see him. I think he has a brother with a similar operation there, but I'm not sure.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I've used Mouser for years. Two day delivery to western oklahoma (125 mi due north of Amarillo), Three - four days to mid-Michigan. And now they are right down the street (within 10 mi for sure) in Mansfield TX.

I've never had a prolem with Mouser or Digi-key.

I can remember when Mouser's Catalog was only 3/8 inch thick. Now it's over two inches thick. I prefer the electronic catalog you can download from their site.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I can remember when Mouser's Catalog was only 3/8 inch thick. Now it's over two inches thick. I prefer the electronic catalog you can download from their site.
I favor DigiKey as I find their website to be exactly what I want in drilling down from a vaporous spec to specific parts on their shelf. I mostly use it for business, but when I need something for myself the $25 min ain't a killer and even standard shipping is just a few days away.

While I do keep their current catalog on hand it has grown to almost impossible dimensions. 10 years ago I would skim over new editions in a few nights just to plant seeds for future reference. Now that is a huge endeavor and I have not done so in a few years now.

However, I do so miss the local shops that sold good parts. We used to have several here, all have dropped by the wayside.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've used Mouser for years. Two day delivery to western oklahoma (125 mi due north of Amarillo), Three - four days to mid-Michigan. And now they are right down the street (within 10 mi for sure) in Mansfield TX.

I've never had a prolem with Mouser or Digi-key.

Unless there is something different about the shipping routes, you are going to love Mouser now. I prefer the online catalog myself (pretty much the same thing) but they sent me a paper one anyhow. I looked for an opt out, I'm not sure if I found it, but I clicked something.

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
I like this line from Addison's site

Illustrations and description in this shopping cart may differ from the original parts

Which basically means, you won't know what your getting, till you get it :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That is fairly standard. It is a lot of work to document everything. If you go through the manufacturers datasheet you will have exact dimensions.

Last edited: