Resurrecting computer PSU - Power Thermistor question

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
I have 2 bad parts taped to the back of a PSU that I want to replace. One is a green disc shaped thing that looks like this except mine says 058 instead of o512.

From what I have read the 058 is a rating of 5 ohm and 8 amps. Do I need this exact model or will something similar work? Any suggestions where to find these?

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The higher current parts will have lower off and on resistances. This could affect the inrush protection they are there to modulate. Not the end of the world, but your inrush current will be higher if you replace an 8 A part with a 12 A part.

ak

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
Could I put 2 units in parallel or in series to get the 5ohm 8 amp, like 2 10 ohm 4 amp in parallel ( would that make 5 ohm, 8 amp, correct?) What would I need to run multiples in series or paralll to get the 5 ohm 8 A? It seems the 5 ohm 8 A is a little difficult to find.

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
The higher current parts will have lower off and on resistances. This could affect the inrush protection they are there to modulate. Not the end of the world, but your inrush current will be higher if you replace an 8 A part with a 12 A part.

ak
So should I look for something with less amperage? I can get a 054 which is a 5 ohm - 4 amp. Since it is limiting initial inrush and not total load, shouldn't a lower amperage be better than a larger one? What about a different ohm rating? Im just trying to see if I can use something that I already have. I have a 2.5 ohm 8 amp which is an SCK-2R58