General Feedback Restriction on "Automotive Modifications"?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I cant get rid of the idea some of the posters know very well automotive isnt permitted, post anyway, and enjoy the confusion.

there should be a script moving a thread to off-topic if it contains car, tail lights, automotive and so on, or not even shown and presented to moderator. Its repeating all the time to be honest I cant see it anymore.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I cant get rid of the idea some of the posters know very well automotive isnt permitted, post anyway, and enjoy the confusion.

there should be a script moving a thread to off-topic if it contains car, tail lights, automotive and so on, or not even shown and presented to moderator. Its repeating all the time to be honest I cant see it anymore.
That will likely create more work than the existing case-by-case basis. There are numerous post by people that mention the word "car", for instance, that have nothing to do without prohibited automotive modifications. Would you be happy if you made a post about some circuit related to an RC car and it got moved to off-topic or deleted entirely? Would you be happy if you mentioned in some post that you were looking to by a new oscilloscope now that your car was paid off and it got moved or deleted?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Hola Ser,

What tone is that? I arrived just 2 hours ago.

Maybe this?
That will likely create more work than the existing case-by-case basis. There are numerous post by people that mention the word "car", for instance, that have nothing to do without prohibited automotive modifications. Would you be happy if you made a post about some circuit related to an RC car and it got moved to off-topic or deleted entirely? Would you be happy if you mentioned in some post that you were looking to by a new oscilloscope now that your car was paid off and it got moved or deleted?
OK I get the idea. How about a red alert, reminding posters that it is not allowed?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
OK I get the idea. How about a red alert, reminding posters that it is not allowed?
I think that is too far down the priority list. If we were having to deal with it so frequently that we couldn't get other tasks performed, then that would be different.

I see a much bigger issue, both in terms of the frequency with which it happens and in the harm (for lack of a better term) it causes is lack of adherence to the posting rules in the Homework Help (HH) forum, both by the people posting questions and in the all-too-often handing out of ready made solutions on the part of members. I would be very supportive of a hoop that the TS has to jump through to start a thread in HH that would basically be a checklist of things they had to check off in order to post. Part of me would love to see at least an annoyance box that had to be acknowledged to post a reply in HH, if for no other reason than that sometimes responders aren't even aware that the thread is in HH (it's happened to me several times). But another part doesn't want to impose additional annoying hoops that have to be jumped through by people willing to give free help to students. So while I find it frustrating, I think I have to conclude that the degree of the problem (of inappropriate responses, anyway) is small enough that we can just deal with it on a case-by-case.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Sure and swift action is probably the best deterrent. Since the moderators cannot be expected to read every post, we can give them a leg up by "Report"-ing questionable posts. This is a silent and anonymous process as far as I know that shines a light on the offending post. The moderators look like they have eyes in the back of their heads and balance returns to the universe. I don't know if there has been a case where this power of ordinary members has been abused, but I kind of doubt it.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Sure and swift action is probably the best deterrent. Since the moderators cannot be expected to read every post, we can give them a leg up by "Report"-ing questionable posts. This is a silent and anonymous process as far as I know that shines a light on the offending post. The moderators look like they have eyes in the back of their heads and balance returns to the universe. I don't know if there has been a case where this power of ordinary members has been abused, but I kind of doubt it.
If it does it would be transient. Ordinary members only have the ability to bring things to the staff's attention and if a staff member were to get abusive then the other staff members have the ability to see, track, investigate, and remedy those transactions (which would most likely come into play because a staff member accidently did something or misinterpreted the rules or something very innocent).

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
How about telling them when they register, seperatly?

NOTHING AUTOMOTIVE.

I Agree - > complete registration
I Dont -> Close window

then you can sue them for breach of contract.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If it does it would be transient. Ordinary members only have the ability to bring things to the staff's attention and if a staff member were to get abusive then the other staff members have the ability to see, track, investigate, and remedy those transactions (which would most likely come into play because a staff member accidently did something or misinterpreted the rules or something very innocent).
What I meant was have there ever been members that reported things that were not true, or reported things just to annoy the staff, causing them to go on wild goose chases.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That would have very little impact. Most people would ignore it and just be annoyed about having to click a bunch of boxes to get registered. Even those that paid attention would forget the fine print in short order, let alone after a few months or years.

As for suing them? Ha. Good one!

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Or send this to their mobile phone with robocall 3 times a day

They'll be running screaming through the streets "I cant hear it anymore" "Not THAT" "Noo... I behave..I promize"

RamaD

Joined Dec 4, 2009
In spite of the tone where they clarified the authority, this is a very, very nice and excellent forum, and members are very helpful.
Even dumb questions are patiently answered (dont look at my questions!).
For your question about auto, allowing certain areas, any mod can affect the safety. The entire car is powered by the same power source! The decisions have been carefully considered before enforcing them, by experts in the field, in spite of their authority. Hope you understand that it is not an 'excuse' of safety, and is THE QUESTION OF SAFETY.
The tone is probably due to this type of questions.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
If you modified the car in certain ways its illegal and you loose cover too, no matter if it actually causes anything.

I'm not a fan of authority but I consider it sense making to mind my work and dont put much effort into unproductive things at all.

Even if the mod is legal it can encourage others to modify cars and do illegal modifications.

I think there are forums for all kinds of vehicles, some even larger than this forum.
Since almost everyone is using cars, its far more people than electrically involved persons.

And I think unless they are totally NOOB they do know that (there are other, more suitable, as well larger forums ONLY about certain kinds of vehicles).

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The "new" ToS is there since april 2011 and where made by Dave and approved by jrap, the owner of the forum.
Even with the restrictions given in the ToS a lot of things can be discussed.
As we are mainly an educational forum, the restrictions do not disturb the educational character of the forum.

Bertus

The owner of this site is paying for everything -- notice how there aren't any click ads and that the site doesn't try to load dozens of third-party cookies onto your machine?
That's a very good (and, IMO, under-appreciated) point! --- A site featuring advertising derives its profits from its content providers, and, hence, is (or should be) answerable to same as equal partners... These fora, however, are truly gratis in that there is no profit mechanism 'upon the backs' of its members --- So... Let us not bite the hands that feed us!:cool:

Best regards
HP:)

Last edited: