Resonance Frequency!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ThapeloCornelius, Sep 26, 2013.

1. ThapeloCornelius

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Hello,

How can i create resonant frequency using LC circuit (parallel or in series) and using DC supply , and how can i measure for resonant frequency using oscilloscope?

Thanks

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    You can not make a circuit that resonates at zero frequency (DC).
    However, when you first connect the DC supply, the pair will respond with a short (time) oscillation. You can use an oscilloscope to look at the fluctuations and might be able to find the time interval. That will lead you to the resonant frequency.

3. ThapeloCornelius

Sep 25, 2013
    Thanks.

So you saying i can get a resonant frequency if i supply my circuit with AC?. If so, can i use the oscilloscope to see the signal?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Yes, and yes.
    However, you will see the signal best if the AC you supply is the same frequency as the resonance.

5. ThapeloCornelius

Sep 25, 2013
    Thank you for your time.

The thing is I am doing a project which i have to use the IGBT for switching, so i wanted to create resonance so that the current in my LOAD will be AC but drawn from DC supply.

6. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Work out the resonant freq from the formula if you know the inductance and capacitance,F=1/6.484x root LC

7. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    A series or parallel resonant circuit is just that, a resonant circuit, whether any voltage AC or DC is applied or not.

To determine the resonant frequency you either have to calculate it (if you know the inductance and capacitance values) or measure it by applying an exciting voltage, usually by applying a variable frequency signal to the circuit, and using an o'scope or RF voltmeter as an indicator.

In the olden days we used a grid dip meter to determine resonant frequency. A GDO is simply a variable frequency oscillator with a meter that will indicate a 'dip' when the oscillator is tuned through the resonant frequency

8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
  9. Ramussons

May 3, 2013
    Are you on to Induction Heating? The technique used is different.

Ramesh

10. w2aew

Jan 3, 2012
    adam555 likes this.
  11. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    In general, resonance occurs when capacitive reactance equals inductive reactance.

12. ThapeloCornelius

Sep 25, 2013
    @Ramesh, Yes Im on induction heating, can you help with the technique used?

13. Ramussons

May 3, 2013