Resistor Network Analysis- Thevenin?

devilstormz

Joined Aug 18, 2011
Hey,

I have question that needs to be solved. I have attached my attempt at the question. The first diagram is the resistor curcuit given and we are expected to find vout and current through Resistor R1 (labelled 1 on the dia)

I m unsure whether my approach is correct or not and I dont see if my method is correct to calculate vout and ir1 using the working done below.

Any suggestions/approach method needed to solve this would be helpful.

Another question regarding my working, if you notice I have ignored vout when doing his thevenin so can I ignore it ??

Thanks in advance for any help/ suggestions.

Matt.

Attachments

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Assuming that you have sketched the circuit accurately, the current flowing in the 1k (resistor R1) is not determined by any of the other resistors or voltage sources. It is solely determined by the 10V source that in parallel with it.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Alright that does make sense.

What about vout is my approach method correct?
I think you were headed in the right direction but it is a bit tough to tease out what you did since you were factoring in the 1K resistor into your calculation.

How about taking another stab at the problem now that you know to set aside the 1K resistor in calculating Vout.

hgmjr

Efron

Joined Oct 10, 2010
Alright that does make sense.

What about vout is my approach method correct?
Hi,

Just a simple question: at the end of your calculation I can't see Vout's value?

I think you lost a little bit your main target (Vout) - although you apply the thevening correctly.

When you have more than one independent voltage or current sources you should try the superposition method. It simplifies a lot the calculations.

devilstormz

Joined Aug 18, 2011
Hi,

Just a simple question: at the end of your calculation I can't see Vout's value?

I think you lost a little bit your main target (Vout) - although you apply the thevening correctly.

When you have more than one independent voltage or current sources you should try the superposition method. It simplifies a lot the calculations.
Ye, I did lose track but dint know where to go from my working from that point on.

I did give superposition a try but dint work out alough i did get an ans.

I will try again tomorrow with a fresh mind and if I dont manage it i will post again with my working. Being a bit busy with my uni projects today.

Thanks for your the hints/tips guys much appreciated.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
To be clear ... the assignment calls for you to determine both the current through R1 and Vout?

To help you maintain your train of thought throughout the process label the drawings.

Last edited: