Resistor Design Software

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by Snowwake4553, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Snowwake4553

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Hello Everyone,

I am looking to move to a new design software. I am currently using draftsight and it is so simple to use and does almost everything I need, but I am missing a couple key functions. I can design the 2D layout of my resistor in draftsight, then I export it to CAMtastic, which is on a seperate computer; since it cannot be installed on a computer with an OS as new as windows 7 on it. CAMtastic is a great program as well, but I need a software that can be installed on my work computer that has windows 7 installed.

Draftsight just doesnt allow me to change the overal width or my layers with a simple click like CAMtastic does, for example: If i make a resistor have the width of .075'', but it turns out that I am off my goal resistance by 10% I need to be able to calculate the difference in widths, select the layer, and change the whole layer's width with a command. I could do it in draftsight, but I would basically need to redo the whole design with the new width.

I would also like to be able to do "copper area calculation", as it is called in CAMtastic. In draftsight I can do a "get area" command but it will only give me the square area covered, not the area of the resistor with 30 different bends/corners in it.

I have looked into solidworks and I am sure I could do all of this with that program, but It would cost $5000 minimum, and I have no need for all the extra things on the program. Is there a cheaper alternative out there?

Thank you,
    Anthony

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. panic mode

Oct 10, 2011
    what are you trying to do?
    you use CAD software to design PCB traces to be used as resistors?
    what is the application and why don't you use standard resistors?

3. Snowwake4553

Oct 3, 2012
    I am designing heating systems for power sports vehicles.
    Hand grips are basically resistors, based on the power we want them to use, we can design a heater that is a resistor of x resistant.

To get this resistance, we need to design a resistor that is "a length" and "b width".

These resistors are about the size of your hand, so a basic resistor would not be applicable to this.

4. Snowwake4553

Oct 3, 2012
    Also, they are about 1 to 2 mil thick, and about 2 feet in length if "unwound". They are traces that are snaked back and forth on our adhesive.

5. panic mode

Oct 10, 2011
    what kinds of file formats CAMtastic can work with?

6. Snowwake4553

Oct 3, 2012
    We have been using DXF/DWG, but all files from draftsight need to be saved as a 2000/2002 dwg for camtastic to even be able to use it.

7. panic mode

Oct 10, 2011
    you can use AutoCad or DraftSight (free edition available) to quickly and easily change line width.

8. Snowwake4553

Oct 3, 2012
    I am currently using Draftsight, and its great. But as of now I am not sure how to change overal widths of a full line that is curving its way around schematic. Also, I am not sure if Draftsight can do the same "copper area calculation" that I use in CAMtastic.