Resistance Wire (Kanthal A1) vs Copper Wire

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
And that, my friend, is the very essence of this site.
Glad you were able to figure things out on your own. Welcome aboard!

Word of advice: don't stop here, there's plenty of other exciting stuff you can learn and do fun things with.
Like what.. I tried to tackle making a Pure Sine wave inverter, or learn how it's done, and found myself leaving it alone.

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
One piece of advice, after you write the first three digits that are not zeros. You can round everything else off as zeros. Just put the right number of zero until the decimal (or use appropriate prefix for to a avoid most zeros. Nice work plowing through it!
I'm going to be making my own heated clothing, once I get my PSU, and my PTFE Insulated Stranded 30AWG Wire. I have a very big problem. It's very cold up here, and my space heater, the radiator(s), and the furnace doesn't do crap in this house.. Not at least for my 20 x 17 room. It's 9°F outside, and it's a bit chilly in here 57°F. I was thinking of making some heated clothing.

I also would like to make maybe a heater using the PTFE Insulated Wire and the PSU I ordered on Amazon Prime.

It's more than enough powerful I thought.. I do have a little bit more money.. I could, and I was thinking of looking for another one, but this one should be fine. It's an IP-S350T1-0 ATX PSU. Supports 25Amps @ +12Vdc. Way more than enough for heated hoodie, or what not.

I do have a good understanding about LiPo Batteries, mAh, 1S, 2S, 3S, 4S, The C rating, Gauge of wires, calculating battery life, etc.

Would anyone like to talk about making heaters, and Heated Clothing? I have a good grip so far, before I even get my stuff delivered.. We could talk a little about making stuff like that.

I'll go ahead and start a new Thread.. I highly doubt anyone has posted a thread about heated clothing.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
@Guest3123

I hate being cold, too. Just to cover the basics first...

Getting a house warm starts with stopping drafts by filling gaps around windows, doors and gaps in siding.
Next is insulating. (Window shrink film works great, just be careful not to over shrink it). Anything more on a rental house or apartment is not worth your money (attic insulation or wall insulation)

Next, if you are looking for the cheapest way of heating your house, use a $20-$30 space heater that puts out $1200 watts from Walmart, Costco or other discount store. The electricity is more expensive than natural gas but the initial investment is low and there is no risk of carbon monoxide poisoning like other fuels.

Now, for electrically heated clothing, it can be done. There are sets and gloves and vests already on the market for motorcyclists Maybe other types of clothing is available for other markets.

Note that the vests are focused on motorcyclists. The vests have a warning on them not to sit in chairs or lay down while wearing them. This is because the heaters between the skin and chair back will have greatly improved heating and can heat the skin beyond 120F and burn skin. Be very careful. You are essentially making a device that will boarder a "medical device" because any slight failure or unexpected use can cause bodily injury.

On to the battery question...
It takes a lot of energy (watts x time) to keep a vest powered. Batteries are not a great solution. Lets do some math. Assume a human male needs 100 to 120 watts to maintain body heat (about 2000- 2400 Calories per day). Then assume that you need 5 % to 10% additional heat to warm you when you feel cold (we need something in the range of 5 watts to 15 watts when indoors. (Motorcycle vests are even more but need much more power).

A lipo battery (big) is 2500 mAh at 12 volts. This means it can put out 2500 milliamps (2.5 amps) for an hour at 12 volts. That is about 30 watts for an hour, or 5 watts for 6 hours. This may or may not be reasonable for you. I don't know your budget for the price or the inconvenience.

Lipo batteries require special care and are known o catch fire. It is not just the hover boards sold over Christmas 2015 that catch fire. The RadioControlled airplane crowd have used these for years and already have kevlar charging bags and ceramic plates and pots to keep batteries away from combustibles. Fire can happen while in use and while charging. Even sitting still because two wires may have bad insulation and touch and overheat.

I don't recommend Lipo, the technology just isn't ready.

As for lipo battery slang, each cell is 3.7 volts (S1). If you have two in series (S2), you get 7.4 volts. And 3.7 volts more for each additional cell.

These series of cells can be put in parallel as well to make S2Ps (two sets in parallel of two cells in series).

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Dude,

The current is calculated by Adding the resistance of Kanthal (2.7) and copper (0.1) and call that R. V= 12 volts.
Then current (I) is V/R. 12/2.8 = 4.286 amps

Now, to calculate voltage drop across the copper wire and the voltage drop across the Kanthal, multiply the 4.286 ohms by the resistance of the copper and the resistance of the Kanthal. See answers in pictures below. Notice that the total voltage adds to 12.
Umm, I think you mixed up your volts and amps.