"reseting" 555 timer

itel933

Joined Aug 26, 2010
Green light turns on when power is supplied
Red light when time expires

I want to put a momentary/ slide switch so that when its pressed the unit is "reset". I was told I need to put a resistor "in series" with the switch to prevent short circuit. How much of a resistor do I put? Im using a 9 volt batttery. and what do I attach the switch to?

Attachments

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
If you want to re-trigger the timing cycle then this should work.

If you just want to reset the timer without re-triggering the timing cycle, then put a 4k7 from the 9V rail to pin 4 - instead of a direct connection. Then connect your reset switch between pin 4 and zero volts.

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I think he means reset to idle, using pin 4. Use a NPN transistor, emitter to ground, collector to pin 4, base/resistor as an input.

This is a bad example, but it was the quickest I could pull up.

I needed to flip on the opposite polarity, so I had to use a PNP.

itel933

Joined Aug 26, 2010
Actually what I was told is, in order to reset the timer I had to discharge the timing cap. I was told to use a Double Pole Double Throw switch. In that way im not shorting the battery and possibly causing damage to other components.

If you want to re-trigger the timing cycle then this should work.

If you just want to reset the timer without re-triggering the timing cycle, then put a 4k7 from the 9V rail to pin 4 - instead of a direct connection. Then connect your reset switch between pin 4 and zero volts.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
If ckt is to be reset & re-triggered with sw, remove battery from pin 4 & connect p 4 to pin 2. Place sw in parallel with .1 uF cap. After power is applied and first timing cycle is completed, the ckt will already be reset[ origional ckt ] to re trigger just short .1 uF cap with sw.