Research in electrical machines

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by NPN-1, Jun 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NPN-1

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Is research and development of new electrical machines almost dead, now that all types have been developed, or are new machines being developed as we speak?

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Your prediction of the death of innovation is premature.

John

cmartinez, BobaMosfet and NPN-1 like this.
  3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Believe me, Just when you think there is nothing more to discover, there will always be someone thinking outside the box.
    Max.

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Probably the most exciting research frontier is high temperature super conductors. When I was an undergraduate the super conducting temperature was 4 K. (Four degrees above Absolute Zero). Today it is about 1.52 orders of magnitude higher:

mercury barium calcium copper oxide (HgBa2Ca2Cu3O8) at around 133 K. That is still pretty cold, but 1.52 orders of magnitude in 50 years ain't too shabby.

cmartinez likes this.
  5. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    You would have to explain to me what electronic machines are.

atferrari and wayneh like this.
  6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Are you joking? What proof do you have that all types have been developed? I can think of several that would have a market but don't already exist.

7. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Nah. There will always be scope for innovation.
    I bet they're busy developing the Mk2 version of the flux-capacitor overdrive as we speak ;).

Sinus23 likes this.
  8. NPN-1

Mar 11, 2016
    As far as I know, all types have been developed for both dc and ac (BLDC, induction, synchronous and the rest) and are optimized to the limit (with the exception of superconductors). By the way what are the types you said had a market but don't exist?

9. NPN-1

Mar 11, 2016
    True, but thats material sciences and physical chemistry, not circuits and machines.
    No offense man

10. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    In your OP you mention 'Machines' now you refer to motors. or motive power, this is just considered one part of a machine in the usual definition.
    Max.

11. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    I think that is kind of a narrow viewpoint. The prevalence of high temperature superconductors is going to require a number of new circuits for sensing and control. It is going to require new types of bearings and other mechanical parts. Exactly why is your imagination so limited. Maybe you should switch to Art History. At least there you won't be able to do quite so much damage.

Sinus23, #12 and NPN-1 like this.
  12. NPN-1

Mar 11, 2016
    I was joking (a bit). Can you elaborate on how high temp superconductors will require new circuits?

13. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Sure. One of the things that a super conducting motor will require is a circuit that will simultaneously measure temperature, speed, and current to rapidly compensate for any possible deviations from ideal operating conditions. This circuit will be a mixture of analog, digital, and software algorithms. This is inherently similar to flying combat aircraft. Nobody does it with manual control any more, it is all fly by wire.

14. EM Fields

Jun 8, 2016
    Well there's always the FTL drive which seems possible - since Cerenkov radiation is a reality - if only we could figure out how to drive matter/mass faster than C in a vacuum and not turn our partticular universe inside out in the process.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  15. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    One example I was thinking of was an implantable, bionic eye. That's an electronic machine that was imagined long ago but as far as I know does not exist in the practical world. Yet.

Magnetic bearings have been invented, but they likely have wider application than they currently enjoy. Or how about a Curie effect motor.

16. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    A century or so ago (1899) the recommendation was made to close the patent office because everything that could be invented had been invented. Now, as it turns out, that was actually in a parody magazine (Punch), I guess it was sort of like Mad is today. But the same notion existed back them.

17. EM Fields

Jun 8, 2016
    Can you cite the issue of Punch in which that article appeared, please?

18. MrSoftware

Oct 29, 2013
    Not as high tech as high-temp superconductors, but check out the history of electric motorcycles in the Isle Of Man TT electric race. That's just one example, but there is still a ton of R&D happening in the electric motor area, just to name one single type of "machine".

19. EM Fields

Jun 8, 2016
    Ouch for the "damage" slur.

Can you post schematics of any of the circuits to which you refer, or is your conjecture all pie in the sky?

20. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    If I already had them, there would be no need to develop them. Based on my knowledge of low temperature physics and the sensitive nature of the environment where superconductivity is possible I am inferring the need to control the environmental factors with speed and precision. Can you offer an argument that says this will not be required?

The damage I referred to was convincing some bright young engineer that making the effort to design new circuits was not worth the effort.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.