Require special type of relay.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Z2TT, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Z2TT

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Hello,

I have read the relay write up but have not been able to find the type of relay I need to function in a certain way. I will try to explain as simple as possible.

I need a relay that controls continuity to 2 outputs, and they are labeled A and B, but normally does not give continuity to either. So it would be like this :

[​IMG]

Now Once The coil is energized, I want it to give continuity to A for ONLY 1 SECOND, and then go back to normal.

But then, When the coil is de-energized, I want it to give Continuity to B for 1 SECOND ONLY, then go back to normal.

Then when energized again repeat the process - Back to A for One Second.

Is this possible and is there such a Relay?
    Any ideas welcome.

Thankyou.

2. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Outside a PLC (programmable logic controller), I don't think you will find "a" relay that will meet your spec's. A couple of details: What powers the coil? What voltage (AC? DC?) and current are the contacts supposed to switch?

I think two 555s (or a 556) configured as positive and negative edge-detector monostables driving two SPST relays would work.

Ken

3. Z2TT

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 7, 2010
    DC Power, current would be pretty low.

Coil will be powered by a wire that formerly supplies constant power to the vehicles ECU, however the immobilizer i installed cuts power to this wire, now upon the immobilizer "arming" itself and cutting power flow through this wire, I want an event to happen.

So

1. Immobilizer arms.. cuts power through ECU +12v wire

2. At this time i want a certain wire on the cars system ('A' in my mspaint pic) to be grounded for 1 second, so that is why i want a relay to detect the +12v wire losing power, then ground a certain wire for 1 second.

So sequence of actions.

- Immobilizer arms, cuts power to ECU Wire
    - "My Relay" detects loss of power to this wire, grounds wire "A" for 1 Second

And for disarming

- Immobilizer disarms, power to ECU wire is given
    - "My Relay" detects power on this wire, grounds wire "B" for 1 second

In a nutshell I need - A relay that detects presence and absence of voltage on a given wire, and upon detection of presence and absence of power to that given wire, the relay will provide ground to 2 different wires for 1 second only, the wire that is grounded out of the 2 is determined whether the relay detects presence or absence of power on it's trigger wire.

4. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Can't think of a relay with a "center off" position but they did exist at one time.

Chances are you're going to have to build some sort of tri-state flip-flop circuit.

5. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    nope..no relays whatsoever

6. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Just a concept. I you're just grounding A and B, and don't need isolation, the relays could be replaced with MOSFETs or BJTs.

Ken

7. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  8. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

mcgyvr is right.
    Do not mingle with the ECU.

Bertus

Thread Status: