Require Assistance with a magnetisom sensing project

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011

MakerKen

Joined Sep 16, 2015
What? Its not magic?... Son of a b...
Whats next.. Please don't tell me Santa isn't real.. :p

I do a "similar" trick.. But I look away and have them hold the hand with the coin in it against their forehead for about 20 seconds and tell them to "think" really hard about it..
Then I have them turn around and face me and then hold both hands out in front of them and I can guess which hand the coin is in EVERY time...
Anyone want to guess how that trick is possible?
No one guessing? Well I'll start, even if it's bad.
• Like holding your arms in a doorway, one will be higher than the other
• The clench will be tighter on the hand with the coin in it, or the opposite
• The grip is formed with two fingers to hold a coin and the other hand is faking a full grip
• You may get some decreased blood flow from holding it against the forehead, the hand recovering from being held against their forehead

Blame the early morning and the weekly roundup email from AAC that brought me to this older thread.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
No one guessing? Well I'll start, even if it's bad.

• You may get some decreased blood flow from holding it against the forehead, the hand recovering from being held against their forehead
Yep.. The hand with the coin is always "whiter/lighter" in color than the one without due to holding it above your heart..

MakerKen

Joined Sep 16, 2015
Yep.. The hand with the coin is always "whiter/lighter" in color than the one without due to holding it above your heart..
I wasn't exactly right, and I took a shotgun approach to solving it. That was going to bug me, thanks.

Any suggestions on what the most sensitive hall sensor is anyone? Sensing the magnetic field where you can set a threshold instead for switching seems needed. The circuit using a hall sensor is simple: Vcc, ground, and output. I needed a pullup resistor from output to Vcc, low when detecting certain polarity, nothing with the other polarity. Check the sensor you choose.

I'd start there, see what kind of magnetic field distance detection you can get from a magnetized coin. I've just used a hall sensor as designed for a tachometer. I'd want two sensors if you can only detect one polarity each sensor, where one would be heads and the other tails, so you would know if you were getting readings either way.

Corey Dwyer

Joined Jun 13, 2016
Is there no way to programme a chip so not only does it sense the magnet but also senses the polarity? This meaning I don't need two sensors?

MakerKen

Joined Sep 16, 2015
Is there no way to programme a chip so not only does it sense the magnet but also senses the polarity? This meaning I don't need two sensors?
Now that I think of it Magnoemeters are sensitive enough for the earths magnetic field and would easily be thrown off by a magnet nearby and they can do every axis, and they are MEMS (tiny) the problem then being modules are bigger, not design a custom PCB.