Request for help - Home made wind mill

mysoreyogish

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Dear friends,
Im Yogish from India, not sound in electronics.
I have assembled two home made wind mills ( Using a stepper motor ) which is producing 1V Ac to 50 V Ac. & another 1V Ac to 75 V Ac.
Im planning to charge a 6V DC or 12V DC battery from this.
I know how to convert AC to DC using a rectifier.
Please help me to develop a voltage regulator for this ( Here input voltage is variable due to wind dependency & i need a constant voltage to charge a battery).
Please please help me in this regard.
Waiting for your earliest reply.
Regards,
YOGISH

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
In both cases, it sounds as if they are unloaded voltages. What sort of output can your windmills produce with a resistive load? This is to see what amount of current they can produce. A resistance of 10 - 20 ohms would be good for this test.

mysoreyogish

Joined Nov 24, 2008
In both cases, it sounds as if they are unloaded voltages. What sort of output can your windmills produce with a resistive load? This is to see what amount of current they can produce. A resistance of 10 - 20 ohms would be good for this test.
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, this was not connected to a load. ( Just checked using a multimeter.

floomdoggle

Joined Sep 1, 2008
Hey Yogish,
Can you buy a regulator? If you are not familiar with electronics, you have a steep learning curve. The average output of your windmill, on a daily basis, will give you a reasonable estimation of your power output.
Try otherpower.com, or windpower.com to get a good start. Then return here to get the best refinements on your circuits. Try also scoraigwind.com.
By the way, I just got my first windmill built yesterday.
Dan