Request for advice for a custom project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by mshlama, Sep 22, 2013.

1. mshlama

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Questions:
    1) What is the more appropriate processing power for this application: a computer, microcontroller, or other?
    2) a) if computer which software(language) would you recommend for this application?
    b) if microcontroller which one would you recommend for this application?
    This is the application -
    Input: device processes/recognizes audio input (such as a dog barking or someone shouting) - most likely with a microphone
    Process: the device then waits for the input to stop (even momentarily) i.e. the dog stops barking or the person shouting takes a breath) and then send a signal to begin the output
    Output: graphic to an LCD (any size) or play a pre-programmed audio file (i.e. mp3) most likely with a speaker
    About me: I'm a beginner to intermediate programmer with experience in C, Fortran and Java. I also have some exposure to microcontrollers through a Basic Stamp microcontroller. What I am most unsure about is how to deal with the audio/listening part of this application i.e. to listen for a specific sound and then recognize when it has stopped
    Thank you in advance if you decide to leave any comments/suggestions/advice.

2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    So a dog goes, "Ruff, Ruff, Ruff," and you want to start the output after each "ruff"? After all, there is a momentary stop between each individual bark. Same thing with someone shouting -- there's a momentary silence between each word.

You need to define your specs a bit more fully.

3. mshlama

Sep 18, 2013
    Yes that is correct. Begin output as soon as the first ruff/shout is complete. Output should occur right at momentary stop, before the second ruff/shout.

Sorry for not defining the specifications more fully.

4. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    So if someone shouts, "Hey, can anyone hear me?" you want to begin output four to six times?

5. mshlama

Sep 18, 2013
    Yes, that is correct. The goal is to see if what kind of outputs that can get the object to stop barking/shouting.

6. JBernard

Aug 8, 2013
    sounds like it could be done with an arduino and a electret microphone

heres a volume detection sent back out to a light bar, you could just adjust the sensitivity of what triggers it, then use that to play a sound file.
    http://negativeacknowledge.com/2008/06/11/final-lightbar-controller/

you could have your sound file on an SD Card shield on the arduino, for playback.

and you could make the whole unit remote/wireless by having battery packs to power the arduino and possible onboard speaker.