Repurposing car insurance gps tracker gizmo into personal gps tracker !

krummak

Joined May 13, 2016
hey all , new here and looking into my first gps trakcer project.
basically want to produce a gps tracker to place in my car and recieve live results as to it locating via web.
i have a GPS tracker from Trakm8 ltd ,its one of those black box car insurance things you get for inexperinced drivers to get the price down ect.
they basically sent my partner 2 so i was hoping to repurpose the spare into a personall tracker for my car .

Trakm8 ltd
type : t10 mini lite

i have opened it up to peak inside and see basic gps tracker stuff such as mini 4g sim ,

anyway was just hoping this device would save me some time and money but would be willing to build one from scratch if it would be simpler any advice appreciated .

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Not real sure but, couldn't you just replace the sim card with one from your phone company? The original sim is probably linked to the insurance company site, and to use it you would need to "hack" them for the information you want.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The problem is that somebody somewhere has to pay for the cell service for the device. Same problem with pet trackers. It's sort of like a smartphone without the smarts or the phone. And you could get the same functionality from any old cellphone you might get for free. So unless you're willing to pay the monthly service fee, it's not terribly useful. It MIGHT store track information that you could download occasionally, but where's the fun in that?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
After thinking more about this, are you sure that the "insurance" device is capable of GPS? I thought they just read the CAN buss. To record the actions of braking, acceleration and speed, in other words your driving "habits". They could care less where you go or the route you take.