reporting what is reported on a news

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lightfire, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Lightfire

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Hi friends!
    Is reporting a news via broadcasting written from another broadcasting company allowed and does not violate any copyright law?

For example, I owned a network and in my network I have a news program and the source of news is from another network.
    Like I'm reading a news from GMA Network, Incorporated, which is another network, for my own network.
    Would that be okay, at least in United States of America?
    Thanks and I hope you understood me!

2. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    If its news or something like that as long as you give credit to original journalist its not a problem. Look at google and yahoo news stories. The majority are from the AP or Reuters.

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    It may be an issue. Business pay fees for these stories. The reporters in the field have to be paid somehow.

In the USA there is a clause called "Fair Use". It covers things like this forum, where people point to and quote stories. If your a business, the you are outside the Fair Use doctrine.

You may do this as a hobby, and be able to claim Fair Use Different country, different laws, so no guarantees on this. At some point the bills add up, internet is not free, neither is electricity, and if you take money to pay the bills you may be a business.

I would recommend contacting a local newspaper or radio station and asking them the same questions. If they know you are interested in the business you may find some unexpected help. The concept of an apprentice may be gone, but a lot of the traditions remain.