Replacing SMD regulator

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Hi Folks,
I am going to need to replace the SMD regulator on this board and kinda wondering how best to do it. I have a hot air rework station but am thinking it will need to get pretty hot to release the solder under the large tab. Worried about the small parts next to it getting unsoldered.

Any tips?
Thanks

Attachments

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I would...
Cut the 3 legs then put a soldering iron tip on the exposed metal of the soldered tab plate and heat it up and slide it off then just use the iron again to remove the 3 legs.

But hot air "should" work too with a smaller diameter "heat tube" blowing towards the edge of the board away from any other components.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I would...
Cut the 3 legs then put a soldering iron tip on the exposed metal of the soldered tab plate and heat it up and slide it off then just use the iron again to remove the 3 legs.
+1

This will work just fine. Use a larger tip if you have one.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Heat up the tab, put a pointy probe under it and lever it up a bit of an angle. the 3 legs will bend, that fine. Then just heat up the 3 legs and the part will fall off.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Thanks for the tips, have a new regulator on order from Mouser.

So after I get the old one off I need to get the new one on. Plan is to put a little solder paste under the tab, solder the 3 leads then heat the tab to stick it down.

Does this sound like a workable plan?

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
I would use desolder braid to remove it from the board-but a certain degree of skill desoldering wise is needed to avoid track damage so maybe cutting leads is the way to go for you.
also do remember some parts are also glued to the pcb as well as being soldered so be careful when you remove your device from the board to avoid pad/track damage-what is the pcb from and how do you know your reg is at fault?

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I would...
Slight variation: I would cut the legs and remove them using a conventional narrow tip iron. Then use an iron with a hotter tip on the metal tab to "float" the regulator loose and grab it with pliers.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Thanks for the tips, have a new regulator on order from Mouser.

So after I get the old one off I need to get the new one on. Plan is to put a little solder paste under the tab, solder the 3 leads then heat the tab to stick it down.

Does this sound like a workable plan?
Use braid to clean the PCB are for the reg's tab and feet.
I would not use solder paste, just solder the tab down and feed solder in from the edge.