Replacing pot with digital

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Barry M, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Barry M

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    I would like to make a voltage controlled PWM fan controller.

Essentially I would like to replace the pot in this diagram with a 100k pot that is controlled by 0-12v DC:

[​IMG]

Full article: http://www.overclockers.com/pwm-fan-controller/

I have looked but I am getting conflicting information and the last time I built something everyone told me I was using outdated methods that were pointless (turned out I done three times the work I had to because a single chip replaced a lot if it) and that tutorial is 4 years old.

Thanks in advance.

2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    That circuit would require major surgery to provide a voltage-controlled PWM with a wide control range. As a simple alternative you could try one of my circuits in this article.

3. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    That circuit looks more or less OK - but the resistor in series with the output pin should be moved to in series with the pot wiper, othererwise there will be a strong sawtooth component from the timing capacitor superimposed on the PWM fed to the power device.

Barry M likes this.
  4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Oddly enough, pin 5 of the 555 is called the control pin. There are many variations on using a variable voltage on that pin to control the 555's output. Zero to 12V is not bad, so long as the power to the 555 is ≥ 12V. In other words, find the circuit you want to use for PWM and apply your variable voltage to pin 5. Not all will work, but most will.

John

5. Barry M

Feb 11, 2009
    The circuit I posted only sends a signal to a PWM fan. In no way is it designed to supply anything else.

I have a 0-12v control panel. All I want to do is remove the the pot in this diagram and replace it with one that is controlled by a voltage in the 0-12v range.

6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I have not seen a digital pot than handles 12V across its terminals. They may exist. Have you found one?

What's your question?

John

7. Barry M

Feb 11, 2009
  8. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Why not use one of the circuits Alex referenced in Post #2?
    No difficult-to-acquire digital pot required.

9. hp1729

Nov 23, 2015
    MCP41HV1 allows to voltage across the pot to exceed VCC rails.