replacing limit switches with Toggle Switches

electronewb

Joined Apr 24, 2012
I'd like to know if I can change the microswitches for a similar joystick to ON OFF ON toggle switches? It's for a controller that controls tilt and pan for a camera I find the joystick hard to control and the microswitches to be a pain to replace. I was thinking to buy one of those industrial remote control and install 2 toggle switches tilt UP and DOWN and pan RIGHT and LEFT Would the controller know the difference between a toggle switch and a limit switch?

Attachments

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The link appears just to be a hand held enclosure, if so you can install whatever types of switch you wish, as long as it is contact closure, any type of choice will work.
Wouldn't you want each direction to be the momentary type rather than maintained type toggle switch?
What is wrong with a small keypad push button for each function?
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013

electronewb

Joined Apr 24, 2012
What do you mean by interlock? Toggle switch would be fine as it's mostly to be used to make adjustments once a week. What would happen to the controller if both switches are activated at the same time lets say pan left and tilt up? Would it cause any dammage to the controller?

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Are you looking to adjust and hold?
I have a three position switch that is normally off, but can toggle left, or toggle right (or up / or down). Two of them could accomplish 4 way adjustment.
When you let it go, it goes back to center and holds.

It would be hard to press them at the same time I would think.

electronewb

Joined Apr 24, 2012
I'm looking at dpdt momentary rocker switches. That might do the trick soon as you let go it goes to the OFF position in the middle

electronewb

Joined Apr 24, 2012
Are you looking to adjust and hold?
I have a three position switch that is normally off, but can toggle left, or toggle right (or up / or down). Two of them could accomplish 4 way adjustment.
When you let it go, it goes back to center and holds.

It would be hard to press them at the same time I would think.
I found sone DPDT toggle switches I think that will work yes it is to adjust and hold it has a spring to bring back in the middle in the OFF position. Much better than those microswitches that I had before

electronewb

Joined Apr 24, 2012
One side of the DPDT switch? I just realized that on the microswitches there's 3 wires!! I don't have the schematic so basically I want to copy the pinout of the microswitches onto the new toggle switch!!!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The toggle switches have two identical switches side by side.
The centre of one side is the common for the outer two, when in the centre the switch is OFF and is ON in each Direction of the switch, IOW 3 wires. ignore the other side if you only need one switch.
Max.

electronewb

Joined Apr 24, 2012
Thanks I think I get it. Stay put I'll draw what I have in mind and post it here tomorrow so you can let me know if that makes sense or not.

electronewb

Joined Apr 24, 2012
It's not finished I have no clue where to put the red and green wires on the DPDT switch!!!! Basically what I've done is put the already existing microswitches with their colored wiring. The DPDT is at the top which will be replacing the 2 microswitches On that flowchart I just loop through the 2 microswitches

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
In your original post you mentioned fitting ON-OFF-ON toggle switches, which is the same function as the toggle switches you link to.
What is the function of the limits switches?
Which BTW are a different function, a N.C. and a N.O. switch, which simply operate this way with one press of the operator?
The limit switch in your diagram are in parallel, so effectively the same function for each?
Max.

electronewb

Joined Apr 24, 2012
There's 4 limit switches (MBZ1 http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/...99/7000/7040/7045/704571_BB_00_FB.EPS_250.jpg ) in the original remote control UP, DOWN, LEFT and RIGHT. They get activated by a joystick On that picture you can see the tabs attached to the MBZ1 http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-mg/micro-switch-joysticks-7593-2379891.jpg

The goal is to replace the joystick and the MBZ1 with 2 ON OFF ON toggle switches.

1 ON OFF ON toggle switch for UP and DOWN and another ON OFF ON toggle switch for LEFT and RIGHT. Bassically I'm trying to get the wires from the controller hooked up to the DPDT (ON OFF ON) switch

Is that doable?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If that L.S. conforms to the standard contacts, it is one N.C. contact and one N.O. contact, confirm this with a meter, if this is so, the Toggle switch you show does not replace it.
IOW, a limit SW is not ON-OFF-ON, normally.
Post the nature of the contact closures of each of the switches in the 2 links.
Max.