Replacing Batteries in Power Tool Pack

sprale

Joined Oct 22, 2016
I bought a replacement battery pack for my 18V Skil drill, but can't bring myself to recycle the old one. I pulled it apart and found that it runs on 5 18650-type batteries. Specifically, they are labeled "INR18650-13P Samsung SDI 076." I can't find much info on that specific battery, but I do find some 13Q batteries available. I'm looking for guidance on what battery to replace the originals with.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
It doesn't really matter what battery you use but I would try using 2500mah or more 18650 cells and you should be fine . Also you could use bus wire to link the cells and sand the cell to help with soldering and use a large iron.@

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
If you want to rebuild the old pack just find a set of 18650 cells with a fairly high Ah and C rating and call it good.

I recomend shopping here. Its where I get all my cordless tool cells from now.
http://www.all-battery.com/index.aspx

Pretty good chance if you use decent cells for the rebuild you will have a superior pack to the stock factory one and for far less cost too.

It's what I have been doing with my Craftsman 19.2 packs as they die. The crappy stock 1400 mAh cells get replaced with Tenergy 3000 mAh ones and do they ever change a tools attitude and run time in a good way! :cool:

sprale

Joined Oct 22, 2016
Thanks for the advice, everyone.I love my drill, always hated buying replacement packs, should be fun to rebuild them instead. I wasn't sure if there was a difference that mattered in the battery specs. What is a C rating?

sprale

Joined Oct 22, 2016
Also, should I use protected or unprotected batteries? I think there is room in the pack for the raised positive terminals, and protected batteries seem to come in higher mAh capacities.