Replacing an unknown transformer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by paul.1911, Jul 2, 2012.

1. paul.1911

Thread Starter Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Hello everyone
    I got a burned transformer from a small multimedia speakers...
    I want to know its output voltage (want to replace)
    It has 220v input and there are two wires out from secondary winding..
    The only thing written on the top is KC3509030-2/B
    If u can tell me what is the output? And how do u know?

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    A thread belongs to the OP (original poster). Trying to take over someone elses thread is called hijacking, which is not allowed at All About Circuits. I have therefore given you a thread of your very own.

This was split from how to increase ac voltage without a transformer

3. paul.1911

Thread Starter Member

Mar 25, 2012
    I search for the already opened thread (as t&c says) but it was very old...so i thought why to open a new thread just for a one answer.
    Anyway, I'll don't that again! :(

4. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    It is correct that it is recommended to do a search in the forum. Before posting. Maybe your problem is solved already. However as you may understand. A thread will very quickly messy if several people are requesting help in the same thread, with a somewhat different approach.
    For your question. A replacement transformer must have the correct voltage. And be able to source the current needed. Both are equally important.

5. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    knowing the output of a transformer is not easy, especially if it is open. You may need to unwind it and count the turns on the primary and secondary.

6. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    It would be more easy to take a picture of the amplifier board. If we can identify the circuits(ICs) used. We may estimate waht kind of transformers specs that have been used. Both voltage and current needs

7. paul.1911

Thread Starter Member

Mar 25, 2012
    I've tried a 6-0-6 transformer and the circuit is working on 6v, so i fitted but haven't checked the amps & volts. It was 1 month ago, my friends speaker and he is using it.
    Actually that time I don't know lot more about transformers but few days ago I come to know about something from this forum.

And now I'm realizing that, I've fitted the transformer but haven't think about the overload. That circuit is may be powerful and it may be overloading the transformer and may getting hot.
    Also I bought a amp circuit few days before for same kinda speakers, it was about 10W asking for 12v 1amp input...
    So, i think, i should call him back and should check that.

So, before I call, I thought to know about the output of this transformer via its label (got from his speaker)
    I open this thread, hoping may be some of you know how to read this code KC3509030-2/B coz i dont have wide knowledge about electronics.

So, if its not possible to tell then i'll try that way checking amps & volts.:)

8. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Also, post the make and model of the multimedia speakers.

Ken

9. paul.1911

Thread Starter Member

Mar 25, 2012
    I dont know. I dont have with me now.

10. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    Did you put a fuse on the primary side of the transformer? If yes, let's just keep our fingers crossed that the fuse would blow up first before the transformer coils get overheated. :D

Allen

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  11. paul.1911

Thread Starter Member

Mar 25, 2012
    No there was no fuse and nor I've put.