Replacing a speaker with a headphone output on small guitar amp

jditrapani

Joined Apr 16, 2015
Hello, I am new to the forums and I have a question regarding a simple guitar amp circuit. Before I explain, I have very limited knowledge in circuitry, but I do understand schematics, basic electronics, etc. That being said, heres what Im doing.

My goal is to make a guitar amplifier whos output is only a pair of headphones. I don't want a speaker. I found this simple diagram online for an LM386 based guitar amplifier and I was wondering what, if anything, do I need to do in order to replace the speaker with a 1/8 in headphone output.

Also, just for the sake of doing it, where could I install a volume potentiometer to control the volume?
Thanks!

-Joe

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The volume control is in the drawing...on the left. It is labeled, "10k" and it is an, "audio taper" potentiometer.
This chip will not object to a high impedance headphone, but you will need to wire both of the headphone inputs to the same (tip) connection of your 1/8th inch plug. Just attach an eighth inch jack where the drawing has a speaker connected.

jditrapani

Joined Apr 16, 2015
The volume control is in the drawing...on the left. It is labeled, "10k" and it is an, "audio taper" potentiometer.
This chip will not object to a high impedance headphone, but you will need to wire both of the headphone inputs to the same (tip) connection of your 1/8th inch plug. Just attach an eighth inch jack where the drawing has a speaker connected.
Thanks for the quick reply. I saw the 10k pot, but I read it as a regular resistor. Anyways, thanks for the tip

jditrapani

Joined Apr 16, 2015
No idea what the resistance of my headphones are, I can easily check that. Could someone explain why you would/would not need 8 ohms of resistance

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Just feed it 4v or 5v instead of 12v when you start it up. With not much voltage to work with, it can't burn up much.