Replacing a blown capacitor help

camochase

Joined Nov 17, 2013
I really don't know much about circuits especially capacitors. I over powered a circuit and blew a capacitor i hope it acted as a fuse and saved the board as a whole. But i wont be able to tell unless i replace the capacitor, but the casing around it identifying it is long gone. so is there a way for me to tell what kind i need? i think its 100uf 16v or 6v but thats a guess from memory so any tricks i should know? thanks for your help. if you need more information or a picture just ask and ill gladly post it

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
A sharply-focussed close-up pic (.gif or .png) of the cap, and of the board area around the cap location, would help.

Mike33

Joined Feb 4, 2005
A sharply-focussed close-up pic (.gif or .png) of the cap, and of the board area around the cap location, would help.

Yup. Also want to be sure it IS a cap. I've had someone think a cap blew when in fact it was an MOV on the primary of a transformer. What happened to cause the over-voltage situation?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Knowing what kind of circuit it is would also help a lot. What are the rated voltage inputs? How much voltage did you apply? What does the circuit do?