Replacement of Home Air Conditioner Run Motor Capacitor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dave Kovensky, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Dave Kovensky

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    My home central air conditioner may have a bad Run Motor Capacitor and require replacement. The present capacitor is an Ultramet RA2000/37 (505+806) rated at 80/5 mfd and 370 VAC.

In all my searching on the internet, I was unable to find a replacement with those exact ratings. I did find and ordered a TopTech TT-CAP-60/5 mfd and 370 VAC Run Motor Capacitor.

Since the suppliers advise to replace a bad capacitor with a new unit having the same ratings, I am concerned about going from 80 mfd to 60 mfd. Please advise if this would be a problem.

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I'm not sure, but it might be. We have enough people here I suspect we'll get a good answer shortly. I do know the capacitor is to help start the motor.

Have you contacted the manufacturer.

Dave Kovensky likes this.
  3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    an 80/5 cap is available many places online. Try Grainger.com (part number 2MEG2)...

Dave Kovensky likes this.
  4. Dave Kovensky

Jul 25, 2010
    Thanks for your suggestion about the Grainger 2MEG2 capacitor. I did look it up and even though it was listed as 80 mfd, I noticed that its physical size is considerably smaller than the 60 mfd I already ordered. My 60 mfd capacitor is about the same outside diameter but is 3/4 inches longer. Apparently mfd is not directly related to capacitor volume but I will wait for more inputs on this issue before replacing the capacitor. I replaced the original single 30 amp contactor which had badly burnt contact points with a dual 40 amp contactor and my HVAC seems to be operating okay. I planned on changing out the capacitor in the hope it would prolong contactor contact points as the 30 amp contactor was only a few months old.

5. Dave Kovensky

Jul 25, 2010
    Since I posted the above, I had another idea that I would appreciate some advice on. To prevent or at least slown down HVAC contactor points burning and pitting, would it be feasable to hook up a 60 mfd 370 VAC capacitor so it would bridge the points. This would be the same as the old automobile ignition system that used points in the distributor with a capacitor wired in parallel to extend their life. This 60 mfd capacitor would be in addition to the existing motor run capacitor.