replacement mulitmeter advice.

kibodwin

Joined Sep 13, 2010
Hello,
Whilst messing around (best way to learn) I seem to have fried my multimeter. I am therefore looking for a replacement (it was only slightly better than the really cheap yellow ones..). With the amount of choose
out there I am a bit lost. I do not need anything expensive but I am willing
to spend a bit more on one this time. I think a temp would be nice but not
essential (it would however need to read up to 300 deg C if possible) and I
do find the continuity tester useful. I do not need an auto ranging type.
Does anyone have any suggestions on a make or model. Which is your preferred multimeter and why?
Thanks for any advise,
K.

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
I like the Fluke Model 16, purchased 20 years ago. It has more features than you say you need, but you wouldn't regret buying this model. The 2011 replacement could be quite expensive, so consider shopping in the used market.

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
If you can afford it, get a Fluke. You won't regret it, it will last a lifetime. Even a second-hand one on ebay.

A while ago I bought a Tenma - only lasted 12 months. Started to do strange things, couldn't rely on the reading - now no longer works!

PatM

Joined Dec 31, 2010
There are some nice Fluke multimeters on eBay.
Costly new, but excellent quality.
I have a 8060A that I use all the time. (eBay purchase)

I also have a Vichy VC99
Cheap price/Cheap construction.
Many ranges
Works -so far but not the quality of the Fluke

Last edited:

kibodwin

Joined Sep 13, 2010
Thank you all for the helpful advice. I though of Fluke but the prices put me off. I will also take a look at Extec.
thank you, it is appreciated.
K.

kibodwin

Joined Sep 13, 2010
is there any particular model of Fluke I should look at? There are so many I dont know where to start. Is there a meaning behind the different model no.s?
Thanks,
K.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
If you think you might be doing electrical stuff for a number of years, you might want to take the long view. Here's how I look at it. I bought my Fluke 83 more than 20 years ago at a local store and I paid full retail for it -- $230 including tax (why can I remember that, but I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday? :p). The display failed between 5 and 10 years ago and I found a nice solution on ebay for $20. So I've got $250 invested in the meter, ignoring inflation and the time value of money. The yearly cost thus has been about $13. Every time I use that meter to understand or fix something, I'm saving money by not paying someone else. That meter has MORE than paid for itself and is still working fine and agrees dead-on with my HP lab meter. Lots of other electrical things not made as well as that Fluke meter have died with much less usage.

A trusted tool that helps you make good decisions is not expensive at all.

Heck, I fix car electrical problems once or twice a year and that pays for the meter by itself, since I don't have to take the car to someone and pay to have it fixed.

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
Fluke without a second thought. It will last a lifetime.
But please do not overlook a good quality Sears Craftsman meter. If 40 to 80 dollars is your budget for now it will not be a bad investment.
Then as you progress, you will know exactly what Fluke will best suit your needs.
Then buy the Fluke.
Sears also sells Fluke and sometimes has sales on them so keep an open eye.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Fluke without a second thought. It will last a lifetime.
But please do not overlook a good quality Sears Craftsman meter. If 40 to 80 dollars is your budget for now it will not be a bad investment.
Then as you progress, you will know exactly what Fluke will best suit your needs.
Then buy the Fluke.
Sears also sells Fluke and sometimes has sales on them so keep an open eye.
I'm sorry I must disagree. I burned up 2 of those sears meters in a week. Then I bought a Fluke because they are more-or-less idiot proof. I'm an idiot, so it's a good fit. I haven't burned up the fluke yet despite the fact I've done things to it that should have burned it up; or would have burned up a sears meter.
Also, don't buy the radioshack "does it all meter" (the one that's like 80$) - it does weird stuff. For example, twice it blew it's own fuses when I tested the leads, Really! I tested the leads, read 0.2 ohms, tested the resistance of piece of metal (not electrically connected to anything), read infinity, so I tested the leads again, infinity, it blew it's own fuse! plus it's readings sometimes just float around for example when reading a fixed resistor.

get a fluke, you won't regret it. they are the glock of multimeters.

one last thing, look at it this way, you could be like me and try to "take the cheaper route" and buy a 40$ meter, screw it up, buy another 40$ meter, screw it up, buy an 80$ meter that's a p.o.s., then buy a 400$ fluke (560$ total) or you could just buy a 400$ fluke (400$ total)