Replacement for HD66753-based LCDs?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Razor Concepts, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Razor Concepts

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Hi, I have a TI development kit that is a few years old that uses a HD66753 controller to drive the LCD. I was wondering how I could find suitable replacements from a reliable source.

The HD66753 driver / LCD combo is used most popularly in the classic iPods and iPod minis, and I can get those on eBay, but I am looking for a constant, reliable source for them, or a replacement that uses the same protocol.

Unfortunately since the HD66753 was first manufactured by Hitachi and then sold to Renesas, who subsequently killed their LCD making plans, there isn't much info on what can be used to replace them.

Thanks in advance!

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I'm not sure if this will be useful as graphic displays tend not to have any pattern to how they work (unlike the alphanumeric types) but I have had success with the ALL-IN-ONE device in the link. That's the US distributor for Microelectronica who also has some nice color displays.

First off I would bang TI's site for replacements. Getting a new screen isn't hard, getting one that is software compatible is the trick.