Replacement Cap

vne147

Joined Jan 22, 2010
Hey everyone. I need to find a replacement cap for the one in the picture below. I think it's a metalized propelyene film cap. I looked around and was able to find a bunch of caps with the same specs but the package is quite a bit different and since I've never worked with this type of cap before, I'm unsure. I found this one:

Film Cap

Is it OK? It's got a different package but all the specs with the exception of tolerance line up. Preferrably, I'd like to find one with the same case and lead type but either they are not widely available or I don't know what to look for. Thanks for your input.

Attachments

vne147

Joined Jan 22, 2010
retched,

Thanks for the quick reply. I had actually found that one too but it's only rated to 250 VAC and the one I'm trying to replace is 370 VAC. Are you sure this would be a suitable replacement? It's from an attic fan which I belive runs on 110 VAC but I'm not sure.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Well, All I can offer is to get a standard can cap and run the leads to the original inputs. Mount the larger cap to the side somewhere.

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1045029-cap-film-oil-wound-10uf-370vac-sfa37s10k288b-f.html

These are standards in the HVAC world.

Did you call switchco? I couldn't find the voltage rating on their site.

You may try calling them to see if they can order it.

Also, have you tried the manufacturers website or manual? They should have a parts list and dealers.

vne147

Joined Jan 22, 2010
Well, All I can offer is to get a standard can cap and run the leads to the original inputs. Mount the larger cap to the side somewhere.
I would not have a problem soldering leads to the type of cap I linked to in my original post. I just wanted someone to first verify that it was equivalent and a suitable replacement to the one in the picture.

Did you call switchco? I couldn't find the voltage rating on their site.
I did try to call Switchco but there was no answer. I assumed that they were closed on Sundays. The voltage rating information I took from this page:

http://www.ceilingfanparts.com/images/capacitor.htm

It says caps 2,3, and 4 are all rated at 250 VAC. I took that to mean that the 2, 3, and 4 wire capacitors are all rated at 250 VAC.

I'll probably try to call them back tomorrow and see if they can order one rated at 370 VAC.

Also, have you tried the manufacturers website or manual? They should have a parts list and dealers.
If you're referring to the manufacturer of the attic fan, I don't know who that is. It's over 20 years old and in addition, it's not even at my house. The fan in question is at my father's house in NY and I am in TX. He sent the picture to me and asked for help in identifying a replacement so I'm trying to help.

I'm also unsure of the capacitor manufacturer. I'm trying to identify the logo right now.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Ok. I would first try to call switchco and see if they can get the 370vac cap. IF not the run cap you linked to on digikey will work. You shouldnt solder to the cap.

They are standard .25 inch spade connectors. Take 2 wires and crimp on the .25 inch female spade connectors, then you can solder in the other end to the PCB or whatever else needs to be done there.

vne147

Joined Jan 22, 2010
OK, I'll give Switchco a call tomorrow. If I go with the cap from Digikey I'll use spade connectors instead of soldering. Thanks for the help.