Replace an LED or LCD With a VFD-Where Do I learn How?

tempest411

Joined Dec 29, 2012
Hello,

I'm interested in learning how to replace an LED or LCD with a VFD on a thermometer circuit, like this one: DS18S20 Dual Temperature Meter

I haven't had to do anything like this before. I understand that each display has a driver chip that is unique to the type, but I am under the impression that some 'micro-controller' chips, like possibly the one this kit comes with, can be configured to run anything, which would require me to learn how to come up with the software to flash into the chip, then learn how to actually flash the chip. As you've probably already guessed, I'm out in the woods on this one. Is there any one source of information that will tell me what I want to know, or would this be a huge undertaking?

Thank you for your suggestions,

Rick

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
What are you doing that needs a VFD to be temperature controlled? A LED or LCD is a 'display' type device. A VFD is a motor speed control device.

A thermometer gives a visual display of temperature. A thermostat controls temperature. Which are you trying to do?

tempest411

Joined Dec 29, 2012
Thank you for the links. It doesn't sound like this will be easy. I know Noritake make displays that will directly replace an LCD, which is very savvy of them to be sure. But I'm sure they cost a bundle. I was under the impression that most VFDs operate off a common language, and that there must be some relatively straight forward way of translating the sort of outputs from an LCD driver to a VFD. Of course, I don't even understand how an LCD is driven. I'll keep poking around online and see if I can figure this out.