Replace AC jack on baby monitor

Becky Nelson

Joined May 25, 2015
We have a levana babyview20 and noticed it was no longer charging. Tried a new battery and same thing. Husband used a multimeter and found it was an iissue with the AC Jack on the baby monitor. The pin thays normally in the middle is gone. So we need to find a jack and replace it as shops want $70 to do it!

Any help?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Where do I find a replacement? Levana does not sell them so I have no idea where to look for one or know it is the righ one.
W
Can you attach an image? If it is a standard 'PC' style connector; Jameco, Digikey, JDR, et al. (or even a 'bricks and mortar' PC repair shop) will likely stock what you need...

Best regards
HP

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
There are a few different kinds and sizes. Here's a link a Mouser page with lots. It sounds like a coaxial DC jack if the center pin is missing. When you see something like 2.1mm as a size, that refers to the diameter of the center hole in the power lead. You can click the datasheet links for a detailed drawing.

Good luck!

EDIT: Great pix. Looks like Kobicon should have a match. You'll have to do some measuring and compare to the measurements on the data sheets.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Oh dear I was completely confused by mouser. So many options?! So what kind is that in the pic? Where might I find one?
The attached image is of a coaxial PS connector. Significant characteristics are the center-pin diameter, the 'well' diameter (and, to a lesser extent, depth) and mounting/connector style/pattern...

If in doubt it won't cost you much to order a 'variety'... :)

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Here's maybe an easier search from DigiKey. Mouse over the pictures for a closeup. When you find one that looks like yours - horizontal, right angle, through hole mount - click on the PDF icon for a detailed datasheet with measurements. You'll have to find one with the same size pin and barrel and pinout - and no, I don't know why there have to be so many different ones but I sympathize.

Alternately, you could buy a matching plug and socket and scab them onto the cable end and board, minding the polarity.

If you could post detailed dimensions of the plug (diameter inside and outside) and a pic of the bottom of the board showing the pin arrangement with a ruler next to it for scale, that might help us source a match.

...And because the center pin is missing said dimension will, of course, be taken as equal to (or slightly less than) the ID of the plug.

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I googled the power supply part number SSW-2256US and found it's used on a Foscam FBM3501 (the parent unit). A post in the Foscam forum calls it a 3.5mm OD x 1.35mm ID. Does that sound about right? If so, here's what DigiKey has in that size.

A better thing might be to go to the Lavana site and ask them via live chat what the connector size is and if they sell replacement jacks for it.

Where are you located?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You can probably take the charger to a store that sells electronic components, if you have such a store within reach, and ask a clerk to help you find a mate for it.