Replace a buzzing relays

PJGallagher

Joined Dec 3, 2014
Hi there,

Can I just ask if it was easy to replace a relay switch? I have one that is "buzzing/vibrating" and needs replacing. I've purchased the new relay and was just wondering if I need any special solder due to the AGA's running temperature?

Many thanks

Paul

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The information is too vague to give any helpfull advice,
DC relays very rarely buzz usually the AC variety is prone to this.
Also it seems you have revived an old thread instead of posting your own?
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are a few possibilities, the 24vdc coil voltage is low (but I doubt it), the contacts are burnt, the device/circuit driving the relay coil is defective in some way.
I would check the DC voltage on the board if possible and also the voltage across the coil when energized, for the price it may just pay to replace the relay, as these are a common cause of no element heat etc.
Max.

PJGallagher

Joined Dec 3, 2014
Would I be able to use standard solder when replacing the relay, given it is on a PCB and an AGA has high running temp?

Thanks for your help

Paul

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yes. If the running temperature was high enough to melt solder, it would have turned the circuit board brown a long time ago.

max keeps beating me to the answer this week. What's up max? You type with both hands???

PJGallagher

Joined Dec 3, 2014
Thanks a lot Max - much appreciated...

AGA wanted to charge over £600 to replace the control boards, and if I am lucky a £3 relay will hopefully fix the issue ;-)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Hi there,

Can I just ask if it was easy to replace a relay switch? I have one that is "buzzing/vibrating" and needs replacing. I've purchased the new relay and was just wondering if I need any special solder due to the AGA's running temperature?

Many thanks

Paul
We'd need the original relay's specs, or at least a picture, to help you out. Also, most relays are mounted on a special base/socket that makes it easy to remove without the need of soldering.
Max is right, the AC kind of relay is prone to buzzing, but if it's a DC type, it could mean that the relay's coil is not getting enough current... could mean a damaged transistor or intermittent contact on the PCB... but let's start with the specs first...

PJGallagher

Joined Dec 3, 2014
Sorry all, my fault - tagging onto the end of an old thread - will let you know how it goes with the relay being replaced

Paul ;-)

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I moved the posts from the other thread again here as he continued the hyjack.
I have closed the other thread to avoid it happening again.

The posts will appear in timeline order.

Bertus