Repairing vintage hi fi

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Neil Groves, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Neil Groves

Thread Starter Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Hi Guys...

Well I just set up my bench again after a short break and I've decided to have a go at some hi fi repair, my question is where is the best place to source old hi fi equipment to play with? preferably non working and cheap and of 70's early 80's vintage?

Neil.

2. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Ebay and probably setup a few accounts on various hi fi forums or even brand dedicated forums, then post WTB ads.

3. josip

Mar 6, 2014
    Well, not completely clear what is your target, by playing with "old" hi-fi equipment. I am from this world (audiophile background), and chance to find something interesting (in non-working condition, whatever) is really small.

So if your target is to find some hard-to-find broken staff, buy it for nothing, fix it, and sell it again, I am not sure about that.

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Check craigslist and start driving around!

5. Neil Groves

Thread Starter Member

Sep 14, 2011
    No I don't want to sell it, I want to fix it, keep it and use it.

i'll go check yard sales and craigs list then, I was thinking of dumpster diving but seems a little risky.

Neil.

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  7. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    I kind of understand where OP coming from. I picked up old 1974-76 Marantz quad amp from trash some years ago. It has selenium? resistors. One of the things I learned is that it is recommended to replace them. It worked the last time I used it. I have not used it in years. So I have not done anything to it. (and no, it is not for sale)

8. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    I've got an old Pioneer set circa 1974 or 5. AM/FM tape and phono

Was working when put away. Flaky on/off switch for sure. If you are interested I'll part with it. Be nice to know it might live again

Wifey has PayPal account so we can work out shipping that way.

9. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    you might check yyour area for ham radio operators, I have picked up sedveralo antique radios at "hamfests" and restored them. most hams are electronic hobbiests too.

10. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    California?

Don't know how it works there but in the UK we have a number of what are basically pawnbrokers but use other forms of address these days.

Buy-Sell Exchange
    CashConvertors

and so on.

They will have unsaleable/broken stuff they are glad to be rid of. Get to know the staff there.

11. josip

Mar 6, 2014
    Yes, but than you must know for what you searching for. If you will just be vintage collector than no problem at all, but if you want to collect something real good (and by this I don't think on mint condition), not sure about that.

Few years ago, I was having in hand (working condition) one of the first philips cd players with CMD0 swing arm and double TDA1540 dac, 10+ kg, and you can check price for that on e-bay. Or price of old TDA1541A / PCM63 dac chip. Of course, some generic garbage can be found for free.

12. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    Don't forget Goodwill stores, I picked up a shoebox full of wall warts for a couple of dollars. Only 2 were bad.

13. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

You could also have a look in a thrift store or recycling store.
    They sometimes have "untested" old radios and amplifiers available.

Bertus

14. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Sounds like a nice euphemism. :)

15. bwilliams60

Nov 18, 2012
    Not sure where you are but try the recycling depots in your area. We have places that set up bins and the city does recycling drives where people throw this stuff out all day long. Rummage through and offer them ten bucks, half the time they just give it to you. I just picked up a 55" Toshiba television with a bad $25 TCON board. Score. There was a Marantz receiver there from back in the day but I didn't want to be greedy. It will be there next time :)

16. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    I see a lot of old hifi gear at the Habitat for Humanity Thrift Store...

17. MrSmoofy

Jul 28, 2014
    Like others have said, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Flea Market are a few places to come to mind. What about following some of those guys that buy storage units at auction I'm sure they would love to give you the junk they would probably to throw away or maybe have you repair it for them to sell and you get a cut.

18. to3metalcan

Jul 20, 2014
    Also, if you aren't already a member of this community, it's kind of essential:

http://www.hifiengine.com/

They've given me schematics for vintage gear I couldn't find ANYWHERE else.