Repairing MISSING solder PADS

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by salt0912, Aug 21, 2013.

1. salt0912

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 20, 2013
    I have lots of exp with soldering SMT, Thru-Hole and BGA but the one thing I have never been able to do is fix a missing solder pad. Mainly because I dont know how to or know what I need to do it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwrnWasLYUc

He uses a DRY FILM ADHESIVE, what is that? does anyone know how to fix a missing pad from the board.

I know about just using jumper wire or scraping trace away and solder on to that but what I am asking is a missing pad with no trace going back to it. This is what I need to know how to fix.

I fix iPads, IPhones, IPod touch and everything else but stick to more board repair. I run into charger ports on HTC evo 4g or another usb charger port and I can normally fix them no problem but I'll run into a couple that have missing solder pads. I can't fix those issues because there is no trace to solder on to, if anyone knows anything please help me out

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Oh dear! If there is no copper trace approaching, it must be in a different layer.
    You can glue a new pad on, but getting a solder connection to the buried layer is difficult at best. It might just come down to being lucky enough to get a bit of solder to catch an edge of the buried copper.

3. salt0912

Aug 20, 2013
    If you look at the video in the youtube link they repair the missing pad with a dry film adhesive. I need to know what type of film that is and I can take it from there.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Much like the people that commented on the video, I don't know where to get a sheet of heat activated, two sided, adhesive.

Anybody else?

5. salt0912

Aug 20, 2013
    this can't be a secret but a lack of not knowing what there using

6. salt0912

Aug 20, 2013
    i hope someone knows

7. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Ouch! Almost $5 per square inch!

9. salt0912

Aug 20, 2013
  10. radiohead

May 28, 2009
    if you follow the link at the bottom of the video, there is a phone number to the company who sponsored the post. They will give you all the information you need to obtain the adhesive featured in the video.

If the pad is missing, a field-expedient fix is to trim a piece of copper conductive tape and use that as a makeshift pad.

11. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Silver paint. Although it's very expensive, maybe more expensive than the special adhesive.