Repairing electric scooters

bodge

Joined May 30, 2010
I was asked to repair a disabled mans scooter, I have tried and tried very hard to get a repair manual but only the owners manuals exist and everyone else on the web wants money before they will answer my questions (rip off). The scooter is a pride victory and it appears to have a live wire touching the chassis draining the batteries out in a very short time, however: the meter shows full battery power and I can find no shorting of the wires and no anomalies if I "jiggle" the wires, I am suspecting the indicator relay as there is a red light inside the battery meter housing which flashes at precisely the same rate as the indicators do when in use. This morning after a long charge the car will now not move at all, doesnt even click. Help, me I am now thoroughly confused.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Testing by jiggle may have blown a fuse or a fusible link (a piece of wire that is actually a fuse).

Do you have a multimeter?

The bright side is that you have improved troubleshooting by changing an intermittent to a steady state. The down side, is that the two may not be related.

Check the relay to make sure the contacts didn't fuse so that it cannot turn on, and look for any areas that the power cables may touch the chassis, grounding them. Darkened/wrinkled wires and black spots are good indicators of overcurrent and short circuits.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Have you contacted the manufacturer? In spite of your opinions, it's not a rip-off to charge money for information or services, so don't be surprised if they want to charge you for a copy of the manual or even a schematic.

You're likely not to get any useful responses unless you luck into a member who has the manual and is willing to post it (but you didn't even post the model number). If you did some more work, like take pictures of the circuitry and make a hand-made schematic including your measurements (you do have a DMM, right?), you'd probably get some useful info from the folks on this board. Many of them are very talented, experienced, and generous in giving their advice.