Repair a broken wire that was brazed

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
I'm trying to repair an old Megger, and an important wire broke at the terminal to which it was brazed.

I don't know how to braze.

There is a 1/8" diameter pin sticking out at that terminal, (brass I think), can I wire wrap it, and solder that, and count on it being a reliable connection?

I'm guessing some solid copper wire might work,

I tried stranded wire, and that didn't work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You may be better off with silver solder rather than braze it, the melting temperature is quite a bit lower than brass (braze).
But even with ordinary solder, you need to get enough heat in to the pin, it depends on what is around it that may be affected by the heat.
Max.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Brass pins solder very well to copper wire with regular solder.

You just need to file it back to clean brass, then solder with enough heat and some fresh solder and/or flux.

I solder brass tubes together to make hose fittings, just with a regular fine point soldering iron and regular 60/40 electronics solder.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Thanks,
I'll use my best soldering gun, and I may have some silver solder, I don't know for sure. I'm pretty sure I have some 60/40

Gary

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions.
After cleaning the post thoroughly, and applying some flux, I used my best gun, and it soldered the wire securely to the post.

I appreciate your help.

Gary