Removing the adhesive backing on breadboards

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Novus_Legio, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Novus_Legio

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 5, 2013
    What is the easiest way to remove the adhesive backing on breadboards?

Would Isopropal Alcohol do the trick? or would it destroy the boards?

2. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    I would use 91% alcohol and take it easy on it but what is the point of removing the backing ?? Cause it holds the clips in and keeps the clips from grounding out or shorting out ..

3. Novus_Legio

Oct 5, 2013
    Breadboards were given to me and they have metal flashing adhered to them. Anyways I put packing tape on them.

4. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Try "Goof-off".

5. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    I recall using once, something more like what is good to remove oily substances.

Last time I used some kind of alcohol and a dry clean towel (real cotton) that helped to take away any trace of the sticky thing.

6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Get a piece of fine steel wire (I use 0.020" or 0.016" stainless). A cheese cutter will work, but the owner of the cheese cutter may not be happy to let you use it. Then slip the wire between the flashing and the breadboard and pull it the full length. That will cut the foam tape. Isopropy alcohol (91% or higher) will probably work to remove the foam tape once the metal cover is removed. I would use VM&P naptha neat or with a little toluene/xylene (5% to 10%) added. DO NOT use a stronger solvent, such as acetone, MEK, lacquer thinner, or pure toluene/zylene. They will harm the plastic of the breadboard.

However, I just leave the foam tape on mine. You may want to reconsider removing it.

John

7. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Goo-B-Gone might work

8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Why do you want to remove the metal backing? Attempting to remove it will also pull away the contacts in the breadboard.

9. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Almost a no-go job- indeed, the spring contacts are attached to the glue pad. I dont know some kinds maybe have them enclosed inside.

Isopropyl isnt nice to plastic, I wouldnt recommend it at all, while lighter fluid doesnt attack most plastic materials.
    you can get cans in many small shops.

Also Isopropyl dries out your hands if you use it a lot, not nice either, as well vapours are highly explosive.
    Lighter fluid also is flammable but doesnt ignite as easily.

If you handle for instance a bath with Isopropyl, and dont know properly, you can get a larger problem as with lighter fluid, as these vapours creep, while lighter fluid evaporates more slowly.

10. Novus_Legio

Oct 5, 2013
    Thanks for the responses.
    Where do I get 90% Isopropal Alcohol? I tried 70%, but it does not seem to be working.

11. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    WD-40.

Removes adhesive and will not harm plastic.

12. Novus_Legio

Oct 5, 2013
    I will try that. Thanks