Removing li-ion battery from philips sonicare

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Cretin, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Cretin

Thread Starter Member

Dec 13, 2012
    I've pried apart my philips sonicare hx6750 toothbrushed and revealed its oh so glorious battery. It's a Li-ion (3.7V) battery, and I want to to remove it to connect it to a 3.3 V power supply and provide it with a bit of charge so I can get it working again.

However, I can't get the battery out! Here are some pictures below. I tried to pry it from the end with an exacto knife and the top of the knife broke and got lodged in between :(

I googled and couldn't find anything for my particular model, so I'm out of ideas and would appreciate any help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    X-Acto knives.......are not for prying.

It should pop right out of there, I think.:confused:

Is it soldered?

3. Cretin

Thread Starter Member

Dec 13, 2012

Well if that's the case....why are they the perfect size for prying then :)

No it isn't soldered, it's in their real tight though and I can not pry it out.

Metalmann likes this.
  4. dick56

Apr 27, 2011
    Is it glued in with that clear glue like used on some of the small batteries on mother boards?

5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I would imagine that it is spot welded in place.

6. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Are you intending to keep the toothbrush? If not, judicious use of a hacksaw might do the job :D.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  7. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Again, for maximum reliability, the battery would not be using simple pressure contacts. The contacts would have been spot welded to the battery and then soldered to the circuit board.

8. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    I agree with Mr Chips. I had to replace a battery mounted that way in a Braun toothbrush. Your second photo seems to show two soldered pins protruding from the board in line with the two ends of the battery.

9. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    The toothbrush I disassembled several years ago had the battery epoxied in place with some sort of hard, black epoxy.